Processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy2k8

Every time I do a Windows Update, it fails with error code 80070020. I have followed other people's advice by disabling WindowsDefender and uninstalling AVG. I downloaded Process Manager, and got the attached lines. Can someone please interpret them for me?
I have got Vista Home Premium

Attachments

• processmonitor.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 5
Please have a read h e r e
Download and run the Norton removal tool (even though you had AVG)
Run it, and then restart and try Windows Update again

If you still have issues, then you will need to run the AVG Remover Tool
Here is the 32Bit version (most users): http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arm_sup_____.dir/avgremover.exe
Here is the 64Bit version: http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arv_sup_____.dir/avgremoverx64.exe

Once downloaded and run, click Yes to continue, then Restart your computer
Windows Update should then run perfectly well :)

Try Free Antivirus like Avira

Still failing

It gets a bit further (to 11%) and then fails again, even after I ran both removal tools!

tommy2k8

Do you have Service Pack 1 installed? or are you still running on the base release (plus their normal updates as released time-to-tim?)

OK. Since the standard things to try don't seem to have an effect how's if we try digging in and trying to see just what the heck Windows is doing here.

1. Report all auto startups

Install Autoruns. Then double click to run autoruns.exe. Notice its status in lower left corner of window
  • Hit ESC key (your upper left on keyboard) to stop scanning
  • Click Options. Check Verify Code Signatures. Other options should be unchecked
  • Click File->Refresh to start scanning
  • Wait for status in lower left says Done.Then click File->Save As, save as a text file on your Desktop. Attach the file to your TechSpot post.

2. Create a list of your Windows Update History

• We'll be using a tool to help grab/copy data from Vista we can't otherwise get at easily. Download SysExporter
  • Control Panel->Windows Update, then click View update history link in uppper left of window.
  • We now want to grab all that install data text so run SysExporter.
  • In SysExporter upper pane, click on column header Items to sort the data from high to low item count. (Item count reflects lines of data available to grab from a window)
  • In SysExporter, look at Titles column. There should be a title View Update History. If you click it you should see some of your update history appear in the lower pane. (typically) lots of data.
  • Click anywhere in lower pane to select any data line. Then from the menu at top of SysExporter window click
    • Items->Select All
    • Items->Copy Selected (Tab delimited)
    • Paste into a text file (it won't look formatted or easily readable but don't worry about it). Save the text file
Attach this to your Tech Spot post

As well as providing information on what's auto running and which MS updates have been previously installed.

Please try this simple option. Download and run CCleaner, then try Windows update again
(It could be just faulty cache, or a large temp folder. CCleaner will fix that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back