Programming terms and learning

By Duthie
Jun 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. ok basically I have finished a 3 year course and qualified with my degree in I.T Sector and now I have come to the stage where I am applying for jobs, it feels to me as if there are a lot more jobs in the proggraming related area than anything else. And that having a sound proggramming background is essential.

I have only done a little programing and I want to teach myself. I understand that once I download the right software for each I could learn from online tutorial videos and try and get some basic knowledge for when I start my career. So basically what software should I download.

Visual Studio is the main one? I wanna be able to comfortably work with terms such as JAVA, C++,C#, .net etc. What other languages would you reccommend and could someone point me in the right direction as to which programs to download. I will find the tutorials myself
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,336   +293

Java, C++, C# are object oriented languages. The other kind is procedural.
    In both cases, there are some basic things common to all.
    • sequence of instructions
    • branching and control flow
    • IF Then Else constructions (also switch)
    • user define (created) functions
    • invoking library functions (or methods).
    • variable data types
    • data and function scope

It might be easier for you to start with an interpretive language (like PHP) rather than a complied languate.

I would recommend that you take a programming class to get started and then proceed as you are comfortable.
  3. Duthie

Duthie Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 42

well I did take a programming class like 4 years ago but its a dusty memory.... We use like visual studio and I remember using terms like console.writeline and methods.

I just wanna be able to focus on one and learn it for now. Like im sure if I was able to download the software I could learn piece by piece. I understand its a huge area and alll but I just wanna start off
  4. Neil010

Neil010 Newcomer, in training Posts: 57

I am a newcommer to the field of computer programming. I have started with C++. I have done. The thing is that once you are fluent with any programing language, learning any other, shouldn't be a hassale. Mostly, it will take 2 - 3 months to learn a new one, many experts say.

If you are willing to learn C++, you will obviously need to download a compiler. Dev C++ and Code::Blocks are good and free compilers. Also, this is a very good website for beginners: www.cplusplus.com. If you can, try getting a good book. It will help a lot along with the website. That's how I am learning the language.

I hope this helps.
  5. gakuen92

gakuen92 Newcomer, in training

try notepad++ it can compile java, c++ & c#..
  6. caraigzaaki

caraigzaaki Newcomer, in training

Hope you already know Object Oriented concept, becuse u knstudied java, c++, C# etc... Now the time to turn asp.net abecuse you already know c#, asp.net you can work with C# and vb.net. In your case c# is better choice. Asp.Net is now a days very poupalr and easy to learn. http://asp.net-informations.com gives you a detailed study of asp.net.

craig.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.