Programs running in background

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

Is there anyway I can see what programs are running in the background of XP pro?
I would like to disbable them before playing oblivion if possible.
thanks in advance

Start, run , type services.msc, press enter.

That will come up with plenty of information for you.

Thanks so much for your reply.
So everything listed here is running in the background, Are they shut down when you do a clean boot via msconfig?

Only removing them via services.msc will stop them completely, but, be warned. It's possible to do serious damage to your windows install if you don't know what you are doing.

If you have programs running that you dont need it is much much safer to uninstall them.

Thanks so much for your reply.
So everything listed here is running in the background, Are they shut down when you do a clean boot via msconfig?

Perhaps I errored in thinking.
I assmed that some of the activity in the going background would be suspended (Not Deleated) if one were to do a clean boot via msconfig

services.msc only lists Windows services, that's all, not necessarily background applications like nView, Steam (which installs a service in Vista), XFire, MSN etc.

Task Manager lists running applications (usually all). tasklist and tasklist /svc lists running applications and short service names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back