Progressive Rock Trivial Pursuit!

almcneil

If you can answer 8 out of the following 10 trivia questions, message me! (no cheating by doing web searches or asking friends!!)

1) Name all 4 original members of ASIA and at least one progressive rock band each had previously played for.

2) Complete the following album title: Selling England ...

3) If you ran a progressive rock CD store, what letter would you put the self-titled album by the group Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe under?

4) Who is Aqualung?

5) True or false, Mike Oldfield plays every instrument on the album Tubular Bells?

6) The Alan Parsons Project album Tales of Mystery & Imagination is based on the short stories by which american author?

7) Name the drummer who has played for all of the following progressive rock groups: Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, ABWH.

8) What are "frippertronics"?

9) Name the artist whose artwork appears on the album covers of the following progressive rock artists: Yes, Steve Howe, Uriah Heap, Ambrosia, ASIA, ABWH.

10) What did ELP stand for
a) between 1971 to 1978?​
b) in 1986?​

2) Album title by Genesis?!? (cant remember the rest)
4) Jethro Tull
5) True
7) Alan White ( I know he was drummer for YES)
8) analog delay system
10) Emerson Lake and Palmer ( I think)

About all I know.....

halo71 said:
2) Album title by Genesis?!? (cant remember the rest)
Yes it's an album by Genesis but you didn't complete it, so you don't get a mark!

halo71 said:
4) Jethro Tull

Yes, it is something to do with Jethro Tull but you didn't answer the question so you get another zero!

halo71 said:

WRONG!! Trick question!! Oldfield plays all the instruments but 2!!

halo71 said:
7) Alan White ( I know he was drummer for YES)

WRONG! Yes, Alan White did play for Yes but it was another drummer who played for all the prog rock bands listed in the question, not White.

halo71 said:
8) analog delay system

Close but no cigar.

halo71 said:
10) Emerson Lake and Palmer ( I think)

That was the easy part but you missed the skill testing second part!

halo71 said:
About all I know.....

... and you don't know much about progressive rock because you scored ZERO!!

Just kidding! Prog rock is an "acquired taste"! It's one of those topics that either you know it well or you don't know anything.

I promise I will try to do better on the next test. But I was at least in the parking lot of the ballpark no?!? lol

I am 36, I listened to YES, Steve Howe, Asia, Genesis and a little ELP. I bet I could come up with some Q's that would stump you too! :p

Just Like SNGX1275 .......

.....I scored a zero....though I'm better'n twice his age.

I've listened to all of those bands, just was never the type of person to research or follow closely. And those are, indeed, very obscure questions. I've got a friend who could probably answer most of them though. He's been a closet musician for probably 40 years.

On a side note, who "hasn't" played for King Crimson....back in the day, of course. :haha:

halo71 said:
I promise I will try to do better on the next test. But I was at least in the parking lot of the ballpark no?!? lol

I am 36, I listened to YES, Steve Howe, Asia, Genesis and a little ELP. I bet I could come up with some Q's that would stump you too! :p

I meant my comment "tongue in cheek"! Please don't take them as narcissism! Yes, you did recognize some of the names and album titles.

I'm 41 and I actually missed the prog rock era ('68 to '78) but got into it by backtracking. A local music reviewer refers to it as "Dinosaur Rock"! LOL!

Masque said:
.....I scored a zero....though I'm better'n twice his age.

I've listened to all of those bands, just was never the type of person to research or follow closely. And those are, indeed, very obscure questions. I've got a friend who could probably answer most of them though. He's been a closet musician for probably 40 years.

On a side note, who "hasn't" played for King Crimson....back in the day, of course. :haha:

Well, I've always found that either you're a prog rock fan or you're not. Although you found those questions obscure, a true prog rock fan would find them easy to answer. Prog rock fans are diehard and religious about the genre. The trivia just flows naturally! Yes, most people have listened to Tubular Bells, Crime of the Century and Dark Side of the Moon but that's just a sample of prog. Real prog fans have every album by each artist and can talk endlessly comparing them! It's just the nature of the genre. It's ironic that prog was never a big seller but all the albums are still in print today. It's because although there aren't a lot of prog fans, we're very loyal and diehard.

BTW, it's not King Crimson that has the revolving door of musicians, it's Yes! It's more like a fraternity with so many who have played in that band.

Uh uh....you need to go back a few years. Read some of the history of rock on King Crimson. I'll try to find some info for you when I get home.

I'm very aware of the history of KC. I refer to the "3 incarnations" of the band. The only member who is constant is, naturally, Robert Fripp. He's synonymous with the name King Crimson. Anyhow, yes, quite a number of musicians have played for KC, but it's really Yes that has the largest fraternity.

Jeez, will you let me get back to work!!! ;)

Actually, I just did a bit of research and it seems to be about 14 members for each band (give or take). Wierd!

I've seen you talk about progressive rock in 2 threads. But yet you stop in the late 70s. Now as seen above I don't know anything about that, but isn't there still stuff being released today not by those bands mentioned above that is considered 'progressive rock'?

The most obvious that comes to mind would be Dream Theater.

Also, what about Dredg, I've got (own legal copies) 3 of their albums, they may be close to today's genre of progressive rock.

There is so much "crap" out these days, I think it is hard to tell what is progressive! But I would consider Dream Theatre in that realm for sure. I seen them in concert once, man were they great. I have 2 of their CD's, really good stuff. Especially 'Images and Words'.

SNGX1275, I'm not sure if that was directed at me or almcneil. If me, you could very well be right. The 70's (and 80's) were an era for me where music was kind of the defining of my life....listening, not playing. It was very important to me, and still is. But I tend to listen to those decades more than others because of it. Not that there isn't good music today...it's just that I don't listen to enough of it to realistically be able to define new progressive.

There is good talent out there now, but there is just so much trash too. It's frustrating.

Was mainly at almcneil. I was just wondering why nothing more modern was talked about when I thought there was stuff being made now that was considered progressive.

SNGX1275 said:
Was mainly at almcneil. I was just wondering why nothing more modern was talked about when I thought there was stuff being made now that was considered progressive.

We're old farts (and that's saying it politely). LOL

Back