Project Scorpio specifications detailed in Microsoft whitepaper

Shawn Knight

Staff member

New details have emerged regarding Project Scorpio, a hopped-up version of Microsoft’s Xbox One console expected to arrive in time for the 2017 holiday season.

Richard Leadbetter from DigitalFoundry claims an anonymous source recently sent over a Microsoft whitepaper dating back to July 2016 titled, “Reaching 4K and GPU Scaling Across Multiple Xbox Devices.”

The report, said to be readily available via Microsoft’s developer portal, provides some interesting information on the console such as the fact that it’ll employ a RAM architecture that’s different from what the current Xbox One utilizes.

The document also confirms that the system will have four times the amount of L2 cache and again, the six teraflop GPU is referenced. For comparison, Sony’s PlayStation 4 Pro is capable of just 4.2 teraflops.

In lieu of reciting every specific detail here, I’ve embedded DigitalFoundry’s video on the subject above which runs nearly 10 minutes in length. Those interested in digging deeper into the details are encouraged to check out Leadbetter's excellent article on the matter.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Paraphrase: "It doesn't look like Scorpio is going to be true 4K."

True 4K would put it at a price point in direct competition with upper mid-spec gaming PCs. Not surprised that this isn't likely to happen.

Paraphrase: "It doesn't look like Scorpio is going to be true 4K."

True 4K would put it at a price point in direct competition with upper mid-spec gaming PCs. Not surprised that this isn't likely to happen.

That's what I was going to say. It's either going to be upscaled 2k or 4k with lowered graphical settings at 30 fps. That's just based off the games out right now, this thing isn't supposed to release until the end of the year.

Sounds like it will only be slightly faster than a PS4 pro. Sony's 1 year jump on Microsoft is a pretty significant advantage, we will see how it shakes down. I assume they will continue to hold the majority of the market.

I wish Microsoft would go ahead and go all in with the full Ryzen/Vega suite, 16 GB RAM, an NVME system drive, and a removable SSD game/user settings drive. If I wanted low-end, I'd buy the XBOX ONE or stick with my current 360 (which is just fine). This thing should be top of the line and cost as much... not cutting corners to save on costs.

Back