TechSpot

ProtonMail promises NSA-proof, encrypted communications with any email provider

By Jos
May 26, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Last year's revelations about the NSA's widespread snooping practices sparked plenty of debate over privacy, but also a number of initiatives to up online security. The latest to join the cause is an encrypted email service from researchers at Harvard,...

Read more

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,602   +629

As much as I support software and services that attempt to secure the privacy of communications, I welcome the day when people stop selling these things as "-proof". Nothing is that secure.

3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,184   +177

Nevertheless, Harvard, MIT & CERN involvement is a decent start for confidence...

JC713 likes this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,425   +822

It would be nice if I ever needed some form of secure mail but I don't (I think). I wonder if Al Qaeda knows about it yet...

5. dms96960

dms96960 TS Enthusiast Posts: 228   +20

"It would be nice if I ever needed some form of secure mail but I don't (I think). I wonder if Al Qaeda knows about it yet..."

Probably NSA did the Swiss incorporation, Anyone signing up for this MUST have something to hide and is therefore a target.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

LMAO I know right?!

7. Who is to say the NSA did not covertly establish this service? Who is to say the NSA has not already hacked every bit of security code that these guys use or that the NSA does not have someone working on the inside as we speak to get into the system?

Privacy on the net is merely a myth.

SalaSSin likes this.
  8. I have a pet peeve about headlines that suggest there’s anything the NSA can’t access. There’s always a way.

9. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,602   +629

School prestige counts for little where this is concerned. The NSA et. al. recruit from these same institutions. If an MIT nerd writes up a nice encryption algo, it's only a matter of time before the NSA hires (a) another MIT nerd or (b) someone of equivalent intelligence to defeat it.

10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,184   +177

They are researchers. Not undergrads. If you have research quals (I.e. PhD), you have already proven to been thorough enough for peer reviewed work.

I'd take that any day over some private company's snake oil commercially driven rubbish. These are people who have not led a life driven purely by commercial interests.

You are right that it is a big claim for anyone to say something is bulletproof. To be honest, I can't wait for the day of quantum communications. Instant, uninterceptable, unlimited range. Maybe then we'd be worrying about nano-sized surveillance devices...

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  11. ProtonMail is saying they use end to end encryption and all email is encrypted on there servers. They use web browsers as the client and everything is baked in. If I'm the NSA or anyone who wants access to the emails, I don't bother attacking ProntonMail, I just go after the browser or OS the browser is running on. It's the weakest point. I can simply monitor who makes a connection to ProntonMail. Yes, ProntonMail is doing the right things however security is like a chain, go after the weakest link.

12. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Maniac Posts: 1,009   +103

What about BBM (BlackBerry Messenger)?

13. Promises of drugs and hookers can break any encryption

14. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,405   +1,594

You have watched too many movies.

15. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Booster Posts: 336   +49

They have secured there end to the best of there abilities but nothing is "Hack Proof", someone could still get into there end of the service. But as others have pointed out hackers go after the easy entrance if your using pretty much any mainstream OS or web browser you have given them a pretty open door. I don't really understand where people got the idea that the internet had any privacy, their strive to achieve privacy over the internet is futile imo.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.