TechSpot

Proxy server

By gwailo247
Aug 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. So, say, I wanted to make a certain website in the UK think I was in the UK. Theoretically.

How would I go about doing that?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,312   +617

Yet subject is PROXY SERVER; which is it? Please describe your intent - - btw: Physicality is not relevant here.

3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,011   +18

Well, I wanted to access the BBC iPlayer, which would require me to set up a proxy server AFAIK.

4. jobeard

I guess you are saying that the BBC iPlayer is sensitive to allow ONLY UK users.

This would mean:
    1. You need your Proxy Server to be hosted in the UK and thus would look like a UK user.
    2. Then you need the Proxy Server configuration itself.

I would learn to do (#2) locally before looking for a UK hosting site. Likely you will need to do EVERYTHING
    manually for yourself, ie first configure an Apache Webserver and then mutate it into a Proxy Server.

Once you get the local Proxy functioning correctly, you could get a hosting solution and upload your configuration,

5. gwailo247

I guess I should have been more specific, I know I need to do #1 and #2.

I was looking for some advice or links as to how to exactly do that.

I know that there are some free solutions out there, I don't need super reliability or speed, just occasional use.

6. jobeard

The details are ALL in the HOW-TO configure a PROXY, which is obviously product dependent.
    You need the documentation for the product you choose to implement. By definition, a PROXY is not a simple
    thing and takes lots of reading and testing to get right. You might look at the Apache group as they provide
    good documentation - - AND you can load it directly to your PC for local testing.

7. gwailo247

Oh, sounds like more effort than just obtaining the shows through other means.

Thanks for your time!

8. jobeard

Yes, a Proxy(PS) is far more complicated than a web server (WS). A WS is really quite simple; accept a request, find the resource(s) and return them to the requestor.

A PS not only does that, but must rewrite the request, access the real WS, read all the reply data and then rewrite it as
    a reply from itself(aka the PS). Those REWRITE rules get to be real fun (not).

9. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Kind of sounds like you may be attempting to avoid the subscription fee since your IP is through the Polish internet.

10. gwailo247

Thanks Captain Obvious. Kinda sounds like I don't live in the UK. But thanks for taking the time to post that.