PS/2 mouse not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

swker98

Hey i am having a problem with using ps\2 mice on a computer, this computer was recently cleaned of malware and i have been using a usb mouse but now when i try a ps\2 mouse it does not work

Device manager sees the mouse and when i unplug the mouse and restart it doesnt see it (obviously). I have tired reinstalling the drivers (unistalled and let windows reinstall then) and ps\2 mouse support is on in bios and the mouse works in other computers.

If anyone could guide me in the right derection it will be apprecianted
Thanks

Device manager sees the mouse and when i unplug the mouse and restart it doesnt see it (obviously). I have tired
I'm confused so I'll ask a question, you've said that you unplugged the PS/2 mouse and plugged it back in again and found that it does not respond as a USB mouse. Did you say you've restarted the machine after you plugged back in the PS/2 mouse? As that was the beauty of the USB mouse Windows, will mount the required drivers for you where as the PS/2 mouse requires a system restart to mount the drivers at the BIOS level. (Is it an "Intellimouse" ?)
And check the PINS are not bent or missing (even slightly misaligned could cause a fault)
And a further note if you're tired go to bed :) - you're human and as such you are expected to sleep :p

Device manager will see the mouse if i boot the computer with it plugged in and wont see it if i don't have it plugged in at boot which is obvious but that tells me that its not a connection problem. Also the mouse works fine on another system

Also the mouse works fine on another system
The reason I asked if it was an Intellmouse was because some brands use a Y-cord adaptor into the DIN plug and to utilise this type(s) in other systems needs additional drivers.
Also to that end just because it works on another system doesn't mean that your DIN plug is in 100% good working order -the plugs use a very fine wire for connection(s) this does not stand for any abuse intentional or unintentional. In fact I remember reading the instructions when they first came out and it didn't just suggest not to unplug the PS/2 connection but that continual plugging and unplugging was "adverse user wear" and not covered by the "Product Warranty Supplied or Implied"

This mouse is a cheap dell mouse, i guess i will try a different ps\2 mouse in this system and see if it works.
Thanks

just an update, i tried another ps\2 mouse (an optical one) and it lights up and windows recognizes it but still wont move

one more update, if i boot with a bootable cd (unbuntu or ultimate boot cd) the mouse works just fine so it has to be something in windows

The cleaning of your PC of malware or the malware itself may have done something to the driver. You could try a repair install of Windows or you could try installing the Intellimouse driver software. Even if you are not using a Microsoft mouse, the intellimouse drivers work with similar style and generic type mice. I've done it and it seems to work quite well.

seems you have the problem fixed or at the very least associated the area where the problem revolves. I actually like the old mouse not in any need to plug and unplug it - I like the weight of the ball and they are built slightly better (fit-n-finish). Not enough buttons though my brother says that it scrolls in analogue "Up and Down" only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back