TechSpot

Put Hexen, Doom and Quake in a blender and you get Dusk

By Shawn Knight
Sep 16, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. If you’ve got a knack for ‘90s first-person shooters like Doom, Hexen and Quake, you’ll want to have a look at this trailer for a new game called Dusk from New Blood Interactive.

The game is said to take place in the backwoods of the American Northeast where players wake up dangling from a meat hook. From there, they’ll encounter three campaign episodes in which they’ll take on a variety of bad guys using all sorts of weapons including shotguns, saw blades, a magical crossbow and grenade launchers, just to name a few.

As Gameranx points out, there will also be an endless mode in which you’ll fight off wave after wave of enemies.

David Szymanski, the game’s developer, tells PC Gamer that they are trying to make each level and episode stand out as best they can in an effort to avoid the confusing trial-and-error mazes and obscure puzzles that constrained so many ‘90s shooters.

Unlike most new games these days that tax your computer’s hardware to the max, Dusk looks a lot like the aforementioned first-person shooters that many of us grew up playing. There’s also a kickass soundtrack courtesy of Andrew Hulshult which you may know for his work on the Rise of the Triad remake and Brutal Doom.

Dusk is slated to arrive in 2017.

Permalink to story.

2. theruck

theruck TS Booster Posts: 104   +20

A 1997like game being released in 2017? who are you? nintendo?

wastedkill likes this.
  3. Hexic

Hexic TS Addict Posts: 283   +132

Looks like a bunch of nostalgia incoming - I may check this out. I appreciate the Quake and Doom references though, well played.

madboyv1 likes this.
  4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,662   +769

They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery .... but I see nothing flattering about this game .... I give it a 5 star BORING!

5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

Looks a lot like Turok. If it's in the $20 range, I'll be interested.

6. Slidexx01

Slidexx01 TS Rookie

Put Hexen, Doom and Quake in a blender and you get Painkiller, much better

7. NicktheWVAHick

NicktheWVAHick TS Enthusiast Posts: 69   +43

Looks like they added a "skosh" of Minecraft as well.

8. BadThad

BadThad TS Enthusiast Posts: 64   +28

1990 graphics....YUCK!

9. Jerimy AG

Jerimy AG TS Rookie

Totally interested, games like this one are important to support, hope to not to be into "Forever Early Access"

10. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Maniac Posts: 398   +207

Not even close ...

11. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 658   +174

Passssssssss, why would anyone bother with this game. It looks like one of those unity example games that was just sold as a finished product.

12. EClyde

EClyde TS Guru Posts: 706   +180

Painkiller? Trash for children

13. EClyde

They need a 9 level shareware to get my attention

14. Bigtruckseries

Bigtruckseries TS Maniac Posts: 401   +209

Will it run on my Core i7, Titan X and 32GB of RAM setup?

15. Kotters

Kotters TS Member Posts: 44   +17

I'm amused so many people are passing based on graphics.

16. EClyde

Cute is always in. Too bad

17. Technosense

Technosense TS Rookie Posts: 22

Can't say I'm interested in the least. I guess when I play a graphical video game, the graphics are actually important to me. The first game that actually pulled me into their "world" was Half Life, prior to that I didn't feel like an actual part of the game/story and most were just time killers. This is reminds me of those. Best of luck though.