TechSpot

Q6600 and HD7870? I did it

By chrissof
May 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. ...after searching forums like crazy and not finding sufficient information,I just stuffed that HD7870 into my rig to find out.
    And it works(well,for me it does!)
    I did not run any serious benchmarks.I just installed all the games I like(or liked) and gave it a try running Afterburner to see the fps.
    The result : All the games return an average of above 30 fps on highest possible settings.
    I played :
    Crysis,Crysis 2(+HihgRes and DX11 packs),F.E.A.R.2,Battlefield 3,Stalker Call of Pripyat,Wolfenstein,Tomb RaiderSkyrim(+High Res patch),Batman Arkham City,Bioshock Infinite,Anno 1404,FarCry 2,FarCry Blood Dragon,Modern Warfare 3.

All results achieved with Q6600 @3,00,Asus P5Q,4Gig DDR2@885,XFX 7870 oc black,
    Powered by a BeQuiet Stright Power 550 PSU,Games installed on Samsung 830 SSD

I will not upgrade untill early 2014,I think.
    That Q6600 was the best piece of hardware I ever bought in terms of longlifety

maybe this can be helpful to others wanting to upgrade.

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

Wow, the Q6600 is pretty outdated. Also, I am very surprised you were able to run the games at the highest settings possible with a 7870. I am even more suprised that the Q6600 kept up with the large processing demands of the more modern games. Finally, I am very very suprised the 4GB of RAM allowed you to reach max settings. I think adding 4 more gigs of RAM will allow you to gain a few more frames.

3. chrissof

chrissof TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 73

oh,I sure would love to pop in another 4 gig of RAM,but DDR2 just is too expensive,so I guess I will leave as it is right now and get DDR 3 and a more modern cpu once my hardware is so outdated that I can´t run games any more.I hope that that will not happen until early 2014,so I can put some money aside.I am afraid of GTA5 though,as I want to play it.badly.prolly won´t run on my machine...on the other hand:it´s a console port,so maybe...

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

Yeah DDR2 is kind of a rip off.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.