Qatar 'requires' World Cup visitors to install state-sponsored 'spyware' on their phones

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
WTF?! If you were hoping to attend the World Cup in Qatar next month, you might be rethinking your plans once you find out what the country will require of you. To enter the country, travelers must download two apps. Both function similarly to spyware and grant Qatar authorities permissions that security experts find questionable.

Qatar is a small country located on the Arabian Peninsula in Western Asia. It serves as the host for this year's FIFA World Cup, scheduled to run from November 20 to December 18. Most notably, it is the first time the World Cup has been hosted by an Arab nation and only the second that has ever been held entirely in Asia.

Thousands of football fans are expected to descend on the region over the next couple of months to witness some live World Cup action. However, the country has raised serious concerns with cybersecurity researchers by "requiring" visitors to download apps that give officials overbearing rights to the data on their phones.

Øyvind Vasaasen, Head of Security at NRK, says it's a deal-breaker for him.

"It's not my job to give travel advice, but personally, I would never bring my mobile phone on a visit to Qatar," said Vasaasen.

The apps in question are called "Ehteraz" and "Hayya." Vasaasen and other researchers, including Bruce Schneier, have equated it to spyware.

Ehteraz is a covid-19 tracking app available for iOS and Android. The software is troubling because it asks for permissions far beyond the norm. Unsurprisingly it wants to track users' precise location through Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, which seems somewhat reasonable. After all, it is a covid-tracking app.

However, after Vasaasen conducted a thorough review of the software, he found that Ehteraz wanted much more than tracking capabilities. The app can also "read, delete, or change all content" on the user's phone. It can override any other installed software and prevent the phone from entering sleep mode. Additional permissions include the ability to make outgoing calls and the disabling of the device's lock screen.

Hayya is also available on the Apple App Store and Google Play. At first glance, seems to be a much more benign app primarily used to track matches and access Qatar's free metro system. However, demanding visitors to install what appears to be helpful mobile software raised red flags.

Upon inspection, Vasaasen discovered that Hayya also had some startling conditions. For one, it has permission to share information from the phone with virtually no restrictions. It also tracks the user's location, can prevent the device from entering sleep mode, and can view the user's network connections.

Vasaasen says that between the two apps, the Qatar government has complete control over the data stored on a device, including the ability to alter or delete information.

"When you download these two apps, you accept the terms stated in the contract, and those terms are very generous. You essentially hand over all the information in your phone," Vasaasen said. "You give the people who control the apps the ability to read and change things, and tweak it. They also get the opportunity to retrieve information from other apps if they have the capacity to do so, and we believe they do."

The apps are primarily controlled by the Institute of Public Health --- part of the Ministry of Interior, which is genuinely interested in preventing the spread of covid in the country. However, the permissions it is asking for go well beyond what is needed to do that. Vasaasen says that by agreeing to the terms, users are giving the authorities the "opportunity" to abuse the rights handed to them. It's like handing them the keys to your home.

"You're saying that it is perfectly fine for the authorities to enter your home," the security head explains. "They get a key, and they can get in. You don't know what they're doing there. They say they might not make use of the chance, but you're giving them the opportunity. And you would never do that."

While Bruce Schneier finds the apps unsettling and the permissions ridiculous, he says it's unclear how Qatar can enforce the rule and make thousands of visitors download the spyware.

"I don't know how mandatory this actually is," Schneier commented in his blog. "I know people who visited Saudi Arabia when that country had a similarly sketchy app requirement. Some of them just didn't bother downloading the apps and were never asked about it at the border."

Permalink to story.

There will be, anyway, millions of idi0ts going to Qatar next month. Soccer is the opium of the masses indeed.

Last edited:
its football not soccer / rounded ball kicked around using feet , Foot-ball

unlike another sport
No, 300 million US citizens call it soccer and we always will until we all decide to move to the UK. And we call the boot a trunk and a bonnet a hood. Get over it. The UK stopped being the definitive masters of American English language in 1776 and we like it that way so take your butt-hurt indignation and piss off.

Yeah.... that would just be a boycott from me. Skip the trip altogether. Though, I could dust something off that doesn't run iOS or Android if it would actually be mandatory (just for the reaction when they try to install it for me 😂).

That said, I also don't see the point in travelling for sports (entertainment I can see on a screen) anything. So I don't have any skin in the game...

No, 300 million US citizens call it soccer and we always will until we all decide to move to the UK. And we call the boot a trunk and a bonnet a hood. Get over it. The UK stopped being the definitive masters of American English language in 1776 and we like it that way so take your butt-hurt indignation and piss off.
Actually the word soccer is English and not Australian, Canadian and definitely not American, Americans aren't smart enough to use proper English let alone come up with new words, blame the French for that.

But to be fair, the name of the game in English is association football, football includes a variety of games, such as rugby, association football, Australian football... Etc

As for the app, nothing really strange, lots of apps want you to give them your soul, just go to app settings and disable the access, and don't buy an iPhone, or better still get a dumb phone if you care so much about security.

Yeah.... that would just be a boycott from me. Skip the trip altogether. Though, I could dust something off that doesn't run iOS or Android if it would actually be mandatory (just for the reaction when they try to install it for me 😂).

That said, I also don't see the point in travelling for sports (entertainment I can see on a screen) anything. So I don't have any skin in the game...
Imagine going to Qatar with a dumb phone and they just don't let you in for having that phone

No, This is not about the UK.....its about the rest of the world. You might be surprised to learn that is significantly more than 300 million. The "world" calls it football. Its predominately the US that calls it soccer (although there are others.) You should seek help with that complex of yours.

I don't get it. People wake up. Snowden already 10 years ago hinted everyone that every smartphone is basically a surveillance device. You pay for it. I find it amusing that NSA workers and it's counterparts watching people's lifes instead of living their own's. It's like taking part in the movie but instead of playing your role simply watch other players have fun of theirs. Feels like superstar sometimes. So relax and have fun. The moment you get your hands on these bricks you are watched anytime. No apps needed for that. It's a built-in on feature.

If someone plans to go there and is not mainstream covdi0t, solutions are available. Just don't bring your main phone with you. Cheap Android phone to stay connected costs nothing. One can buy that just for purpose of the trip, and reset it and sell it after coming back.
Also they didn't mentioned anything about other devices, so laptop with full disk encryption would remain totally safe.

I am going to Asia in a few weeks (not to Qatar though), I already ordered cheap LG phone, I will install LineageOS on it before going, to have quite secure Android which I can reset after coming back, if anything suspicious arise.

unlike another sport
Soccer balls are also thrown with the hands, bumped with the knees, hit with the head, and caught with the chest. Not very foot-specific if you ask me.
No, This is not about the UK.....its about the rest of the world. You might be surprised to learn that is significantly more than 300 million. The "world" calls it football. Its predominately the US that calls it soccer (although there are others.) You should seek help with that complex of yours.
Imagine claiming someone has a complex and then claiming to represent the world and its ownership of a language. He simply is pointing out that American English has been distinct since it left “Great” Britain in 1776, and that there is no longer any ownership of the way Americans speak by the British “empire”.

Also, it appears that more people call it soccer than you think, possibly even a majority of primary English speakers. See the sources on Wikipedia for further reading: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football#Name
Within the English-speaking world, association football is now usually called "football" in Great Britain and most of Ulster in the north of Ireland, whereas people usually call it "soccer" in regions and countries where other codes of football are prevalent, such as Australia, Canada, South Africa, most of Ireland (excluding Ulster) and the United States. A notable exception is New Zealand, where in the first two decades of the 21st century, under the influence of international television, "football" has been gaining prevalence, despite the dominance of other codes of football, namely rugby union and rugby league.

This type of attitude right here is why everyone hates the US. American tourists are the most hated in the world too. No matter where they go they think they can act like they're home, because hey I'm an American! Oh yeah, 300 million citizens call it soccer? Guess what, the other 7+ billion call it football. So YOU get over it.

PS. American football is bar none the worst sport ever invented. Nobody outside the US even cares about it.

The fact that it's being held in Qatar is a travesty in itself. FIFA will always be corrupt.
Have you not noticed this trend lately? They're giving big sporting events to crap-hole countries run by dictators, oppressive regimes and other despots. They gave the Olympics to China TWICE and to Russia as well in recent years, for example. All these sports organizations care about money and nothing else. They would hold the next FIFA championship and Olympics in North Korea if only they'd give them enough money.

...He argues on a North American website lol

It's football not soccer, read the article, it's even mentioned there so Americans can cry harder.
Actually no one was crying about the usage of “football”. The person you quoted was replying to someone crying about it being called “soccer”. Your projecting if you think we care that not everyone speaks the same way.
This type of attitude right here is why everyone hates the US. American tourists are the most hated in the world too. No matter where they go they think they can act like they're home, because hey I'm an American! Oh yeah, 300 million citizens call it soccer? Guess what, the other 7+ billion call it football. So YOU get over it.

PS. American football is bar none the worst sport ever invented. Nobody outside the US even cares about it.
The English language has nowhere close to 7 billion speakers. And as I pointed out, Americans don’t care about it being called football by others; in fact not one person here has complained. On the other hand, a lot of people in this thread CLEARLY care if it’s called soccer by someone else.

Also, you seem to care a lot about American football by making a comment about it lol, no one was even talking about it. So either you live here and hate yourself, or people outside the US do care about American football. That said, I’m not sure why it matters to you. I’ve never heard an American complain about cricket or rugby for instance.

unlike another sport

Football has a ball shaped to fit on a foot, with the game starting with someone's foot, and every play starting at their foot.

You seem to be describing a game best called kickball since youre kicking the ball, not to be confused with the game currently called kickball which would better be named baseball, also not to be confused with the game currently called baseball, but would be better named batball.

Also the rest of the world calls it 'futbol'.

Well, they paid a lot of money to corrupt officials, so they can get picked to host the World Cup. Now it's time for them find other ways to recoup some of the money lol.

Shall we let the noobs install spyware on their devices or shall we do something about it? Decisions...decisions...

this is not only the "UK" ... the WHOLE world call it Football .. whatever the language ... like 450M europeans , the whole of africa, south-america etc etc ... but the US ... it is Football

And the other 7 billion people on the planet call it Football.

Back