TechSpot

Quantum levitation demonstrated in viral video

By Shawn Knight
Oct 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A demonstration by Tel-Aviv University’s Superconductivity Group School of Physics and Astronomy shows quantum locking in action. The video was recorded at the Association of Science – Technology Centers Annual…

Read the whole story

2. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 920   +57

That was really cool.

3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,978   +390

That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time.

4. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

Jaw is dropped

5. MaXtor

MaXtor TS Rookie Posts: 93

Levitating urinal cakes, what else will they come up with?

6. Now that is cool!

7. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

That's friggin amazing! Way to go Israel!

8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +749

Quantum flex tubes! Of course! Why didn't I think of that?! The answer has been in front of me the whole time!

Curses!

9. thewind

thewind TS Rookie Posts: 67

Ya that was really really cool!

10. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

This is by far the coolest thing I have seen for a long time!
    My jaw really did drop!

11. That's unreal ! Love it.

Looking forward to the highways of the future, where cars are free to levitate like this along
    a magnetic road, while being powered by Tesla's wireless electricity, supplied by poles that run alongside it... All trips would be a breeze.

12. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,387   +425

Unbelievable. Definitely many applications for this, especially for transportation.

13. 1977TA

1977TA TS Rookie Posts: 90

Pretty amazing!

14. demonlord721

demonlord721 TS Member Posts: 23

15. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 976   +99

When I was 10 I had this kind of idea, magnetic roads, magnetic shell of car = flying car... But I don't think the way forward would be by building magnetic roads :3

Not very cost effective and theoretically sounds unsafe, imagine having a metal necklace, you get of car and you get zapped to the road... Death-trap :X

Anyway this is fricking awesome, love it!

16. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

This is very close to super conductive perpetual motion... Imagine generators running via perpetual motion = very cheap/free energy.

17. @Wendig0 - No, just no, that is wrong on so many levels.

18. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 467   +85

It's not perpetual because you have to keep cooling the superconductor thats quite a lot of energy...

More importantly tho this could be the first step towards some kind of hover tech, would make sense that it should work with electromagnets also? You could wire up a whole road and only power the sections with "cars" over them to save power and still have great mobility.

19. Hover-boards!

20. This is just like all the other superconductor videos I’ve seen. Why is this one viral? It’s nothing new. Superconductivity was discovered in 1911.

21. Night Hacker

Night Hacker TS Enthusiast Posts: 113   +12

maxtor, you made me laugh so hard, thanks for that comment! XD

22. EDWARD LEEDSKALNIN, if you haven't heard of this guy, look him up and all that you can find that relates...some real stuff going on here.

23. Commercial use? What about travel?

24. Butch

Butch TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

Very cool. Now if they can just figure out a way to do this without having to cool it down so much there would be a million practical uses for this...

25. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

I cannot stop smiling!

:D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.