Question about antiviruses

circusboy01

I know that you can only have one antivirus running. Quite a while back, I heard or maybe read, possibly over at WS.You can install as many antivirus as you want. As long as you only have one running at a time. It went on to say that you pick one as the one you want running most of the time . But every so often you shut it off and run the rest one at a time. The reason for this is because no antivirus catches everything. so you run the other ones, once in a while, because they might catch something your main one didn't. Good idea? Bad idea? Might not help, but it couldn't hurt?
If it is a good idea. What group of antivirus would you suggest I use. Thanks

I know that you can only have one antivirus running. Quite a while back, I heard or maybe read, possibly over at WS.You can install as many antivirus as you want. As long as you only have one running at a time. It went on to say that you pick one as the one you want running most of the time . But every so often you shut it off and run the rest one at a time. The reason for this is because no antivirus catches everything. so you run the other ones, once in a while, because they might catch something your main one didn't. Good idea? Bad idea? Might not help, but it couldn't hurt?
If it is a good idea. What group of antivirus would you suggest I use. Thanks
I don't think that could be true but even if it was, I don't think its a good idea.
They'll correct me in here if I'm incorrect.

I don't think that could be true but even if it was, I don't think its a good idea.

I can see how it could be doable. As long as you make sure that you only have one running at a time. I also don't think you would really want to do it with a whole bunch of antiviruses . Just one or two extra, seems like a better idea.
I know I heard of this before, and I'm almost positive that it was from WS. But it was way back before I went to New Mexico. So it's not even the same people now. It just dawned on me that the concept is dumb.If you have a main antivirus and two other standbys . When you run scans, just pick the one that does the best one and get rid of the others.
One more thing before I go. Can anybody tell me the plural of antivirus antivirsus gets a red "tiny spell" line.

I can see how it could be doable. As long as you make sure that you only have one running at a time. I also don't think you would really want to do it with a whole bunch of antiviruses . Just one or two extra, seems like a better idea.
I know I heard of this before, and I'm almost positive that it was from WS. But it was way back before I went to New Mexico. So it's not even the same people now. It just dawned on me that the concept is dumb.If you have a main antivirus and two other standbys . When you run scans, just pick the one that does the best one and get rid of the others.
One more thing before I go. Can anybody tell me the plural of antivirus antivirsus gets a red "tiny spell" line..

Sure, almost anything is do able, but why risk doing that. Even if I had a larger harddrive (more space) & a ton of RAM,I personally wouldn't do it because I'm human & bound to forget.
I would think the plural of antivirus is antiviruses.

Keeping two or more in your system can lead to more problems. Some av programs do not shut down. So there forth the ideal of running them when you want to. Is just not do able.

Sure, almost anything is do able, but why risk doing that. Even if I had a larger harddrive (more space) & a ton of RAM,I personally wouldn't do it because I'm human & bound to forget.
I would think the plural of antivirus is antiviruses.

I tend to agree with you about the potential to forget to make sure only one is running.
I agree the plural of antivirus should be antiviruses But Tiny spell tells me that I'm wrong. I wonder if the plural of antivirus is antivirus, Just like the plural of deer is deer?

Keeping two or more in your system can lead to more problems. Some av programs do not shut down. So there forth the ideal of running them when you want to. Is just not do able.

After thinking about it on my own, and reading everybody's posts I have decided that it is a bad idea. If I had decided to go for it. Naturally I would have, only, picked antivirus that could be turned off.

There’s no simple, general answer to this admittedly reasonable question, so to keep matters plain and safe the advice is not to have more than one antivirus.

But if you want elaboration on the long answer, to some extent it depends on the individual tools and your skill. A few tools can coexist with others but these are exceptions. Others will refuse to install altogether unless you first remove another existing antivirus. In theory, you can have only one active at a time and turn the others off. In practice, some such tools won’t easily be turned off completely, even if you click exit for them. Furthermore, when you scan with one of them (the others turned off) it will find items in the other’s quarantine and move them in its own, this perpetuating every time you scan with a different tool. Finally, though the more tools you scan with the higher the probability of finding rare malware, the probability of false positives and damage to the files/system also increases.

P.S. anti-virus (plural anti-viruses) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anti-virus

A reasonable compromise on this is which I use is to have a couple of AV programs in reserve on a bootable disk or USB drive, or one of the downloadable rescue disks (AVG, Panda etc.), but only to run them if you have suspicions (this doesn't get round the issues, raised above by bobcat, of detecting quarantined stuff and false +ves generally, but it means they only arise in times of need!)

There’s no simple, general answer to this admittedly reasonable question, so to keep matters plain and safe the advice is not to have more than one antivirus.

But if you want elaboration on the long answer, to some extent it depends on the individual tools and your skill. A few tools can coexist with others but these are exceptions. Others will refuse to install altogether unless you first remove another existing antivirus. In theory, you can have only one active at a time and turn the others off. In practice, some such tools won’t easily be turned off completely, even if you click exit for them. Furthermore, when you scan with one of them (the others turned off) it will find items in the other’s quarantine and move them in its own, this perpetuating every time you scan with a different tool. Finally, thought the more tools you scan with the higher the probability of finding rare malware, the probability of false positives and damage to the files/system also increases.

I agree with you that having multi antivirus is a bad idea for all the reasons you point out. As for antivirus/antiviruses
Why does tiny spell show antiviruses as being spelled wrong. anti-viruses Okay I see it works if you use a - dash. but antivirus singular is correct with or without a dash. At least according to Tiny Spell that is. Thanks, all for helping me straighten that out. I know it's just a trivial thing. But it was really bugging me. ;0)

But if you want elaboration on the long answer, to some extent it depends on the individual tools and your skill. A few tools can coexist with others but these are exceptions. Others will refuse to install altogether unless you first remove another existing antivirus. In theory, you can have only one active at a time and turn the others off. In practice, some such tools won’t easily be turned off completely, even if you click exit for them. Furthermore, when you scan with one of them (the others turned off) it will find items in the other’s quarantine and move them in its own, this perpetuating every time you scan with a different tool. Finally, thought the more tools you scan with the higher the probability of finding rare malware, the probability of false positives and damage to the files/system also increases.

A reasonable compromise on this is which I use is to have a couple of AV programs in reserve on a bootable disk or USB drive, or one of the downloadable rescue disks (AVG, Panda etc.), but only to run them if you have suspicions (this doesn't get round the issues, raised above by bobcat, of detecting quarantined stuff and false +ves generally, but it means they only arise in times of need!)
Couldn't agree more with you guys.

While it is absolutely not advisable to use multiple AVs, you can use a suite.
Software that only have specific uses (single-purpose), and are not all inclusive. Like a software that is a firewall, and just a firewall, AV which is just an AV, etc. However, most of the good AVs have built-in real-time scanners. So there is really no need for this, especially if you select Avast.

Regards,
Marnomancer

Couldn't agree more with you guys.

While it is absolutely not advisable to use multiple AVs, you can use a suite.
Software that only have specific uses (single-purpose), and are not all inclusive. Like a software that is a firewall, and just a firewall, AV which is just an AV, etc. However, most of the good AVs have built-in real-time scanners. So there is really no need for this, especially if you select Avast.

Regards,
Marnomancer

I am usinmg Avast. So I won't give multiple anti-viruses another thought Thanks.

See what Tiny Spell does with the word "inbox" w/o the quotes. I bet it says it aint a word:)
.That's weird Usually, when Tiny spell sees, or thinks, a word is spelled wrong, you hear a sound (a single note), and see a red line under the word. With inbox I get the sound, but no red line. Is that how it is on yours?

.That's weird Usually, when Tiny spell sees, or thinks, a word is spelled wrong, you hear a sound (a single note), and see a red line under the word. With inbox I get the sound, but no red line. Is that how it is on yours?
I don't use Tiny Spell but if its the same type of a program as a spell checker,I have it turned off in my browsers because it tells me inbox is incorrect. Not to mention 99% of the names in this forum would probably show as incorrect if I typed them in.
Not to brag,but I think I'm a good enough speller not to have to be too concerned.
There have been a few I wasn't sure about so I googled them.:)

I don't use Tiny Spell but if its the same type of a program as a spell checker,I have it turned off in my browsers because it tells me inbox is incorrect. Not to mention 99% of the names in this forum would probably show as incorrect if I typed them in.
Not to brag,but I think I'm a good enough speller not to have to be too concerned.
There have been a few I wasn't sure about so I googled them.:)

Yes Tiny Spell is a search Checker, and yes sometimes they are wrong. Like TS tells me my last name is wrong Solema. But that's probably because it's spelled so close to solemn. Don't know what their problem with inbox is.I like TS because, although I am a good speller, like most of us I sometimes use an I where a e should have gone. Things like that.

Last few conversations have had little or nothing to do with Anti-viruses. EEE-GAD. I have Hijacked my own Thread..:eek: :D

Back