Question about Computer Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, i have some questions concering computer hardware issues.

What is Div port what is it use for. and does Macintosh Monitor can use in this kind of port.

Also, lately i install a new hard drive in my computer. I find that there are couple of hard drive setting there is Master, Slave and CSEL. What is CSEL, and what does it use for.

Originally posted by wilbasket23
i install a new hard drive in my computer.
I'm sure this came with instructions, & I hope you didn't install w/o reading.

CSEL = Cable Select. This requires a special jumper cable, & allows simpler configuration for multiple HD's , rather than the M-&-S jumper settings.

I think you meant DVI.

Webopedia's explanation:

Short for Digital Visual Interface, a digital interface standard created by the Digital Display Working Group (DDWG) to convert analog signals into digital signals to accommodate both analog and digital monitors. Data is transmitted using the transition minimized differential signaling (TMDS) protocol, providing a digital signal from the PC's graphics subsystem to the display. The standard specifies a single plug and connector that encompass both the new digital and legacy VGA interfaces, as well as a digital-only plug connector. DVI handles bandwidths in excess of 160 MHz and thus supports UXGA and HDTV with a single set of links. Higher resolutions can be supported with a dual set of links.

Not being a Mac user I don't know if Mac compatible monitors support DVI. But unless there is a DVI connector coming from the Monitor, No.

If you have a standard serial DIN monitor connection but the video card only has DVI there are adapters available.
dvi-adapter.jpg

CablesNmor.com - Google is your friend ;)

Also available are Mac To PC monitor convertors here.

Re: Re: Question about Computer Hardware

Originally posted by uncleel

I'm sure this came with instructions, & I hope you didn't install w/o reading.

CSEL = Cable Select. This requires a special jumper cable, & allows simpler configuration for multiple HD's , rather than the M-&-S jumper settings.

I don't remember ever buying a hard disk or many other hardware components that came with instructions.

The last fujitsu I bought had a little instruction pamphlet with it.
And previous drives always had the jumper settings and drive information (Cyclinders, LZ etc) marked on the top of the disk. Doesn't exactly explain how though on the disk.

How to install a hard disk

Re: Re: Re: Question about Computer Hardware

Originally posted by StormBringer
I don't remember ever buying a hard disk or many other hardware components that came with instructions.

You must be buying OEM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back