Question about resettin my win10 pc

I have been having issues with my pc since last dec when I was trying to set up my finger print scanner, I was told to install a few files from the win10 guys and my pc froze up to the point of not being able to use it. I could not even get past the password or finger print scanner.

so I used a toll that you boot to on the usb drive. I got that form the win10 guys. any way before that I had the pro version and after I got the enterprise version. and since then I have had issues that I can't even believe. I sue chrome for a browser and in the spell check it never seems to want to make the correction. and the pc is slow and freezes lots of times.

so I found this site and your talking of a reinstallation without losing any files or programs. I got the download but I have to know do I put that on a thumb drive? or will it run just by clicking it in my downloads folder? and if it runs from my pc will it do it's thing and when done I will have my pc

back in working order and still be able to run my programs etc. the main thing I want is to get the google browser spell check to work again. it worked perfect before dec. and after that install it was just plain junk.

I have all my pictures and program and data backed up on a hard drive I plug into the usb port using karans backup, and they are intact to the point that I can run them from the backup hard drive thru the usb port.

but it would be nice to rejuvenate the operating software so it runs again. I started with the pro version and after I re installed it I got the enterprise version. it would be nice to get the pro version back.
thanks. if you see spelling erros I did run spell check and all was good. but sometime after the post the errors are back.

Who are the 'Win10 guys'? Full name & location, please.

I think your best bet is to start with a full backup of your personal files (docs, pix, music, etc) on separate media (USB drive, DVD, cloud storage, etc). When that is done, make another copy on another set of media so you have two and make sure you can read the files on both sets.

Now you have two full backups of your important stuff..also capture license keys, etc so you can reinstall programs you want.

All done?
Time to consider a clean install - or try to fight through whatever is inside your system.

Need details: make model version of motherboard, CPU, GPU, drives. Also describe anti-virus, anti-malware and any incidents with them.

Also, check Reliability History for errors and check Device Manager for equipment issues.

Thanks cycloid. I have backup using karans back up. and I can run thos backup from the backup hard drive thru the usb port.
I can't say nothing is going on with the hardware, but before all this started my pc ran like a swiss watch. I use chrome for my browser, and when I did any txt the spell check found the errors and I would right click and get a suggestion and click to fix it. now after I did a reinstall back in dec. I have had nothing but issues with that. in fact if you find spelling errors on this it is because after I fix them some go back the the error after I say post to any forums. the time it takes to fix then takes longer that just deleting the post and starting over, on time I had a spelling check program but it just went away. and my pc hanges up and sometime freezes tothe point I pull the battery to just turn it off. even task manage witll not clos some program, and all those program ran perfect before I had to do a reinstall las dec. the only difference in os was ihad pro and got enterprise. I wish I could get pro back. the wife has home and see has 0 issues. thanks

OK, you have backups.

Time to consider a clean install - or try to fight through whatever is inside your system.

Need details: make model version of motherboard, CPU, GPU, drives. Also describe anti-virus, anti-malware and any incidents with them.

Also, check Reliability History for errors and check Device Manager for equipment issues.

Ok thanks. but tell me I downloaded that refreshwindowstool.exe and that mediacreationtool909.exe so one of these is said to restore the hard drive without deleting any programs or files. I think it is the mediacreationtool909 but what I have to find out is do I put that on a thumb drive and run it by booting to that thumb drive, or can I run it with the pc still running and it will just go through and restore the operating system and delete the old os and give me a new os again, just like if I was to format the hard drive and reinstall the os and then my data? or will the refreshwindowtool do that? it is a bit confusing at this point to me.

Media Creation Tool - prepares media to implement a clean install which may allow retention of files - see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media - once you have media created, you can run it and it will offer alternatives as explained here:

Refresh Windows Tool - does a clean install which wipes all non-Microsoft apps and it is unclear if it allows you to retain your data (likely not) - read here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

Both approaches can wipe everything including all your data and all non-Microsoft apps. The 'installation tool' may allow you to retain your data - but not certainly (especially if there is malware lurking or intermittent hardware errors) - which is why backups are your friend.

Thanks I have backups, like I said I can actually run them from the backup drive, as they are saves as running backups. kakarns backup does that.

so what tool would you run ti try and save programs ans data?

on this site I think they talk about the mediacrationtool. but what I need to know is will it run on the pc like doing a defrag and install a fresh copy of the os or will I have to install that tool on a thumb drive and boot to the thumb drive.

Back