Question about twin rail psu's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik

Has anyone that knows what they are doing opened one up and examined it closely?

Are they truly twin rail, as in, is there 2 entirely separately regulated rails?

And are they worth the extra cost?

Does anyone have any useful pic's to demonstrate the difference?

And yes those large Capacitors inside the PSU could have enough voltage stored in them to KILL YOU! (just warning kids to mess with their PSU)

Ok thanx for the info, i was beginning to suspect it was more of a gimmic than anything useful.

yea those two separately lines doesn't boost anything.. thats what i know.. also some DFI mobo users (heavy overclockers) has some shutdown troubles with 2 rail PSUs they recommend one huge single rail PSUs.. thats what i heard from them

Two rails have it's advantage and disadvantage.
Good: You can connect the CPU to one and the video card and HDD's to the other. This divides the load more effectively.

Bad: If the amps on either rail are a little low a really high end CPU (AMD dual core and the FX series and the newer P4 3.2GHz) can overload either rail.

Why manufactures do it: It's actually cheaper to build 2X18A outputs then it is to build 1X36A output. For example a FET that can drive 20Amps might cost $5-10, but a FET that can handle 40Amps will cost $25.

IMO for a high end CPU and graphics card you're best to stick with a single high current 12Volt output supply. For a more moderate system, but with lots of HDD and DVD's etc, probably best to go with a dual 12V PSU.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back