TechSpot

Question on how to network 2 computers

By Dragon
Apr 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi i was wondering how to network 2 computers but no router, i was thinking using the desktop as a server and the laptop connecting to it if possible wirelessly, the laptop has a wifi card installed already do i just need one for the desktop? how would i set it up? thanks
  2. dgower2

dgower2 TS Maniac Posts: 340

Do a wired connection if both PCs have NICs

If both computers have NICs, buy a crossover cable and connect them directly. I do not know if you can wirelessly connect two PCs without a wireless router, but I doubt it.
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

You can hook up 2 computers wirelessly using what is called an ad-hoc system. This way you would be able to connect between the 2 as long as you are in the same workgroup. You'll just need to get a wireless card for your desktop. Then go to network connections and choose the wireless card. Once in there, setup your network.
  4. Dragon

Dragon TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 67

oh okay so once i get the wireless card for my desktop will it be hard to configure? can i send files between the two too? also share internet? thanks
  5. Dragon

okay i got the wirless NIC for my desktop, they see eachother and it says the laptop and desktop are connected (both running xp sp2) i can see the shared folder on the laptop but i can't access it and i was wondering how to share internet connections, i tried enabling share internet connection but is there anything else i could do? thanks
  6. Dragon

anyone have any idea how i could share connections?
  7. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I've never seen it done using wireless, I've only seen it using a crossover cable between 2 systems. That doesn't mean it's not possible, I've just never seen it.
  8. Dragon

anyone else? i see the computers connecting through peer to peer mode but thats it...it wont send/receieve information between them
  9. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

I'd try setting the gateway on the remote machine to the same as the connected one.

Boots
  10. Ph30nIX

Ph30nIX TS Rookie Posts: 359

try disabling any firewalls and norton AV. That was my problem for bloody ages.
  11. Dragon

im not good with networks what should the gateways be?

12. IronDuke

Setting Gateway

To find Gateway
    On machine with Internet connection in Run type "cmd /k ipconfig /all" (without quotes)
    Default Gateway . . . xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

On the second machine
    Log on as Administrator
    Start | connect to | Show all connections
    right click Local Area Connection and select Properties
    select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    General Tab click Advanced
    on IP Settings tab add new gateway
    tick automatic metric
    OK out

If you have a wireless network you'll right clickNetwork Bridge Connected instead of Local Area Connection.

Hope this helps.

Boots
  13. Ph30nIX

Ph30nIX TS Rookie Posts: 359

Well it depends on how your setup is.
    your using a crossover cable right...
    So the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 Your main computer should have this IP as well. this is the setup i have and it works alright i guess but im buying myself a router in 12days.
  14. Dragon

hm i changed the gateway to the same as the desktop (server) but the wireless connection says connected but thats it, it wont share connections or anything...any other ideas?
  15. IronDuke

Can you see both machines in My Network Places?
  16. Dragon

no when i first set it up i could see the shared folders then it disappeared
  17. IronDuke

Can you ping both macines?
  18. Dragon

how do you do that?
  19. IronDuke

Start | Run type "cmd /k ping ***" (without quotes)

Instead of *** put either the computer name or its IP address. Try the name if that does not work try the IP.

Boots
  20. Dragon

it times out 100% faliure rate
  21. IronDuke

Your firewall may have been blocking the pings.

Have we set the IPs for both machines?
    When you Run type "cmd /k ipconfig /all" (without quotes)
    What IP addresses and subnet mask.

Boots
  22. Dragon

run that on the laptop?
  23. IronDuke

Run it on each machine. To make sure they are both on the same subnet.
  24. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

y dont u just get a wireless rourer tthere so cheep, like less the 40 usd
  25. Dragon

thanks everyone for the help but i got a router instead everything works great, the shared files show up on both computers too guess peer-to-peer was just too complicated for me...i was wondering though how do you get to the setup wizard? i got the dlink wireless router, it's the DI-524 it says enter 192.168.0.1 in internet explorer but i keep getting a gateway timeout...any ideas? thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.