TechSpot

Question re Standby

By Michelle2
Aug 29, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello to all

Has anyone any ideas why on XPPRO the standby option disappeared along with hibernate, but on installing the latest graphic card drivers - the options reappeared?

Thank you
  2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,338   +49

check power settings

In settings/control panel/power options there are ways and means of setting hibernation and standby. In any PC these may be over-ridden by lack of hardware capabilities (that is, your PC must have appropriate capability in the motherboard, hard drives, monitor....and video driver.

I'm only guessing here, but I suppose something was not right to cause the standby option to disappear, and now is available again due to new video driver software.

Probably Windows checks every boot-time that the hardware is responding as it should, which is one of the reasons Windows takes such a long time to start. If your hardware becomes faulty, or loose in a socket, then these checks would fail, so the standby settings change automatically.
  3. Michelle2

Michelle2 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 62

That makes sense! I just couldnt get my head around why.

Thank you for the info
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.