Questions about upgrading my old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a computer that needs upgrading. It is an old Emonster500. When I first purchased it it had the following:

eMonster | 600, 550, 500 and 500a
Napoli-2 Micro ATX (STX V1.2 form factor) motherboard, TriGem, Korea Single Edge Contact Cartridge design with Slot 1 connector Intel 443 ZX core and ITE8673F Super I/O controller
Add-on AGP 3D graphics accelerator slot with 3dfx card 16mb Crystal CS4281/CS4280 built-in Sound Blaster Pro, MPC-3, MPU-401 compatible Audio Enhanced Stereo full duplex operation, Windows 98. 10x DVD, 128 memory with 120W powersupply

I have upgraded the following:
Windows XP
ATI graphics card 64mb
12XDVD
Iomega ZIP CD/RW
256 memory.

I have taken this system as far as it will go and I am considering keeping the case with everything and replacing the motherboard and processor. I have some experience with computers but have never replaced a motherboard /processor and power supply. What I would like to replace with is AMD/INTEL with integraded sound chip (cheapest one I can find) and a new power supply 300+ Watts.. I have questions about the steps involved in doing this and will there be a problem keeping the case becase I know there are compatability issues and would like to avoid them. I also would like to not fry my system with too much watts and cause damage:). I don't care about the video card or other components at this time as they will be gradually replaced. I would also be open to suggestions on a good processor/motherboard combination and power supply if it is possible to keep the case. Any wisdom on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by Duran70
I also would like to not fry my system with too much watts and cause damage
The power supply won't fry your system like that, it only supplies the amount of power your computer needs. The wattage in PSUs mean the maximum amount of power they can deliver (in theory).

your going to need to get a new case. because newer style motherboards use the ATX form factor and i think yours would only have the mounting holes for micro ATX. a new case wont cost you too much if it doesnt have all sorts of bells and whistles on it. and any enermax 350 watt power supply will do the job just fine. if your on a tight budget an AMD system would be your best bet. i recommend a 2500+ or higher cpu. any epox, abit, or asus motherboard with the nforce 2 400 chipset and onboard sound would work just fine, and then get yourself 2 sticks of 256mb DDR 333 or DDR 400. and you should be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back