Quick help securing my network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wibtr

So I have a linksys wireless router and it works fine. I never secured it though. I thought I should get around to doing it. What is the first step? Do I change the settings on the main computer first? Or the one that is routered wirelessly?

What type of security type should I use? There is shared, wpa personal, wpa2 personal, wpa enterprise, 802.1 etc... Also, what encryption type would you suggest? thanks.

Do I have to shut the router off while doing this?

No!

Router has to stay on and you should be using wired connection directly to the wireless router. Never, never configure the wireless over the wireless on the first time.

WEP-128 everyone uses because it was stable and easy to use.
WPA versions is more securied though. It's a matter of taste. I like the WEP-128. I also use it with MAC and IP address filtering for added protection. Each router will be different and might not have MAC and IP address filtering.

Standard Wired
10/100 (LAN)
10/100 (WAN)

GiG Wired or GiG Wireless
10/100/1000 (LAN)
10/100/1000 (WAN)

wireless
802.11g is mostly used now will give you on average 54mbps (roughly 20-30mbps)
802.11n is newer not standardized yet, but you can get 300mbps (roughly 240mbs)

802.11g = 2.4GHz some routers have it max out at 2.5GHz
802.11n = 2.4GHz and some new models have dual and offer 5.8GHz for N

Depending on what router you have you should use what your laptop or desktop can handle. If you got a 802.11g laptop use only G mode and don't use mix G/N mode. Wired desktop set it to 100 Full duplex, don't use Auto or 10/100 mode. If you have Gig Router then use 1000 Full duplex.

Take your time to step the router, Best to use the Wizard if the router has that feature.

Make a list of all network devices MAC address and add that info to the router as extra protection. You want to be the only one accessing your network. You don't want A or B getting into your wireless network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back