Quick Question 900-U and A7N8X Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I properly installed the Thermaltake 900-U heatsink and bent one capacitor on my mobo (A7N8X Deluxe).

I know that that capaciter isn't supposed to touch the heatsink. But how about this.... (read on).

My 900-U touches the nForce 2 heatsink. Is that a major problem? Or will I be just fine?

Haven't turned on my system yet, I have everything but my case.

Yes, don't bother asking, I installed the 900-U properly and correctly, I got instructions off of Thermaltake's website. I reviewed very carefully and did everything flawlessly.

Originally posted by XtR-X
I know that that capaciter isn't supposed to touch the heatsink.

I'm talking about the nForce 2 chipset heatsink, the heatsink that comes with the mobo.

My bad Homie, my skimming skills arent working for me today at all....
As long as you are able to attach the fan on top of the heatsink you should be fine...
In my personal case I had completely removed the heatsink from the chipset and added a vantec iceberg 4, as that very large heatsink isnt very effective... Then I took a pair of heavey duty wire cutters, trimmed the heatsink down and added it to the south bridge because of heat problems...
If you use the onboard sound (which is good by the way) you might want to consider adding a heatsink to the south bridge

I dont *think* it will hurt, but I am not sure. I wouldnt be suprised if it did though. I'll refer someone to this thread that I think might know the answer.

I asked my step-dad, he knows quite a bit about metal and cooling, as he owns a large business of one. He said that it WILL NOT hurt and it might even work better like that when they are touching.

I plan on doing a bit of overclocking, will a south bridge heatsink/fan combo for that be better? Or is that a little extreme?

no, i dont think you would need an hsf... When you finally fire up your system for the first time, let it run for a day and then open up your case and touch the south bridge.... If its really hot i would say yeah put a hsf on... but mine personally wasnt too hot to the touch but still hot enough just to put a heatsink on...

If you would like to find out more information go to www.nforcershq.com the have a special forum just for the new asus boards including the A7N8X... as a matter of fact i think its the only mobo they talk about :p ...They have a lot of great information on that board including tweaking tips and overclocking...:grinthumb

latz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back