Quick route to Windows 11 without losing files and programs

bazz2004

I have one PC in my collection able to run Windows 11 and I've had confirmation of that. It may be months before Microsoft include my computer amongst those supported via Windows update with the upgrade. There is the option of using Windows update assistant to move straight to W11. I can't find an answer to the obvious question: If I go via Windows update assistant will all my folders. programs etc be directly transferred to the resulting Windows 11 installation or will I just have a blank W11 computer?

I also have HP EliteDesk 800 G1 & G2 mini & SSF, successful in TPM & Secure Boot in UEFI mode. They were with 2015 bios and I updated.
A few problems struggling with HP EliteDesk 800 G1 & G2 SSF, when I
could not disable Legacy & enable secure boot without a NO BOOT issue.
Have to disable network boot of course, but when simply trying again with
my PCIe16 NVMe M.2 card, in a PCIe16 slot, it just started working showing
UEFI mode, and secure boot, (off) instead of (not supported) Then the update using Windows Insider, got me upgrade to Windows 11.

On another one, I thought put a less valuable HDD in a G1 SSF, and for some reason it did the same thing. No way to get this from Legacy to UEFI previously. No one offered an explaination other than, it must be MBR instead of GPT. Shift + F10, when installing Windows 10, and use diskpart. Or use what is in the Windows create & format disks. Not sure why this works, so don't go by me.

My question wasn't clear. I'm sure I can manage the upgrade but will using Windows Update Assistant leave everything intact that I've installed in Windows 10? Is it going to give the same result as if I wait to use Windows Update? I'll not be joining the Insider Program.

My question wasn't clear. I'm sure I can manage the upgrade but will using Windows Update Assistant leave everything intact that I've installed in Windows 10? Is it going to give the same result as if I wait to use Windows Update? I'll not be joining the Insider Program.
Windows 11 was released 10/5/2021.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

The issue of turning on UEFI mode from Legacy is currently a problem.
Then Secure Boot can be turned on from off. When not supported, it can
be fixed. When frustrated try to re install on another HDD.

Well here's what happened when I jumped in. I didn't get an answer about Windows Download Assistant so I downloaded the latest W11 ISO, mounted it, then installed from the exec file. It all looked great until I reached a black screen telling me that it was installing updates. I tried three times and each time it stopped saying there was a problem and rolled me back to W10. Error 0800F0830-0x20003.

Techspot have a download for the Windows Update Assistant so I went that route. It just did the job and the black screen where updates were installed was successfully negotiated. There was no asking me if I wanted to keep files and settings or request for an activation code.
W11 looks to be working OK with my previously installed programs but if not I'll post back.

Back