Quicktime is broken

Tried to open a .MOV, but said I needed Quicktime. Tried to install quicktime, but said "Cannot remove old version." Tried to remove it using Revo Uninstaller (it shows here as an installed program) - got the following message: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." Looked for quicktime folder under my Program Files folder - not there. Did a search for all quicktime files and got this:

How do I remove the old unusable version so I can install the latest?

Running XP Pro latest updates

First try Revo Uninstaller Pro. If you don’t want to buy it, you can get it on a free trial. If it produces a negative kind of message, ignore it (cancel it) and tell it to scan anyway, deleting what it finds.

If that doesn’t work, get back for the next step.

First try Revo Uninstaller Pro. If you don’t want to buy it, you can get it on a free trial. If it produces a negative kind of message, ignore it (cancel it) and tell it to scan anyway, deleting what it finds.

If that doesn’t work, get back for the next step.
OK - I did that: Got the same message, canceled that message, and the scan found a LOT of files (bolded) in the registry. I deleted all of them. Then I got message, "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

But after running Revo Pro did you try to install Quicktime? First try to install it and if you fail get back.

But after running Revo Pro did you try to install Quicktime? First try to install it and if you fail get back.
Yes, I tried and it failed for the same reason. A new search for quicktime files came up with the same results as the original search.

OK, if you've run Revo Uninstaller Pro at the advanced level, deleted what it found, but it's still stuck, we proceed to a free Microsoft tool for such situations. It’s effective when there are broken registry entries that block both uninstallation as well as new installation.

So, first make a registry backup or restore point. Then download, install and run Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

Carefully clean what it finds and try to install Quicktime again.

Wow! This is a bit scary. Warnings about having to re-install some or all application?!. You say "carfully" clean what it finds. So I thought I would just select items that included quicktime in the 150 - 200 items that came up, but there are none. How do I do this carefully so I don't have to re-install some or all application?

There is some risk in using the CleanUp Utility, and that’s why I told you to first try Revo Pro, make a registry backup/restore point and use it carefully.

But if you don’t want to take risks (which is not an unsound policy) or are stuck, you can still play MOV files directly (without having to convert them) by using alternative media players.

E.g. QuickTime Alternative 3.2.2:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/quicktime_alternative.htm
or
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/quicktime_alternative.html

Also the versatile VLC includes MOV in the codecs it supports. Try that first, as it is the simplest approach.

Thanks bobcat. Think I will just use an alternative and leave well enough alone. Thanks for your help - it is much appreciated!

Back