By uncleel
Feb 27, 2002
  1. R.I.P. :dead: Rambus
    Intel to drop support of Rambus
    http://www.3dspotlight.com/

2. T-Shirt

T-Shirt TS Rookie Posts: 329

And good riddance!!
    Actually, it's too bad, RDRAM is a good technology, with lots of future potental, destroyed by the greed of the business side of RAMBUS.

3. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

AMD has been stated as using it for their new Hammer technology.

What a change..Intel goes to DDR with the 845 chipset and AMD goes to Rambus.

Was Rambus really that bad? The P4 performs much better with Rambus than it does with DDR. I guess with dual channel DDR on the horizon that may change.

4. Federelli

Federelli TS Rookie Posts: 382

I bet Intel has something smart they haven't showed yet, and Drr is going the right way :)

5. OliverR87

OliverR87 TS Rookie

My thoughts on RDRAM are that it is the future technology. I just believe that it is too advanced for todays software, since most of the software developers don't really use the full bandwidth of RDRAM. Considering only multimedia software uses the most bandwidth, other than that all other software doesn't really depend on the memory subsystem. RDRAM was released way to early I believe, because it first was released in 1999, with incapable processors available to use all the bandwidth it offered. The only solution I believed that worked was to increase the FSB, which I have done on my i820 based motherboard. It is running at 156 MHZ, and the memory essentially at 900 mhz. It is still processor limited, but you definitely notice the speed when running or encoding videos, along with game loading etc. RDRAM is great technology, but the way it was introduced was I thought harsh.

Oliver

6. wizard

wizard TS Rookie

DDR2 will make RAMBUS useless since it has the ability to scale as high as RAMBUS. DDR2 will effectively kill any need for RAMBUS.

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Rambus isn't all THAT bad. It is highly scalable, albeit many problems for the average user.

I'm glad to see Intel drop it though, because I never liked it.

8. Federelli

heh i was never a fan of it either, i just like ddr much more...
    it's a "pitty" that i only have sdram pc133...
    with the situatoin in my country it's amazing the pc i managed to get...

9. truffles

truffles TS Rookie Posts: 44

Ello ello,

Rambus ram was new to me at the time when pentium 4 was introduced . . . i really did not look at Rambus Ram . . . well the prices are more higher then compared to the other types . . .

Does Rambus run at 800mhz ?

really . . . i still think DDR SDRam seem best . . . because i believe the price and performance . . . well good feedback from what i have read . . .

I would like to see in the future . . . on how Intel would do . . . supporting different types of ram . . .

If you look at the economy business today on RAM sales . . . its pretty good . . . im not sure but when i upgraded it was very cheap . . . recently i find that the prices are going up . . . and i asked many people about : "which ram to go with" and i had different feedback . . . saying SDR and DDR . . . same votes . . . 7/7
    no one said anything about Rambus Ram . . .

TRUFFLES

10. Rick

Yes, but it does not mean it is 8 times faster. You see, RAMBUS is only 16 bits wide, where SDRAM is 64 bits wide.

RDRAM: 800Mhz x 16bits = 1.6gb/sec
    SDRAM: 100Mhz x 64bits = 800mb/sec

Because the datapath is wider for SDRAM, it gets more work done at once. RDRAM has a much smaller data patch, which makes it harder to keep up with SDRAM.. Fortunately for RDRAM, it has more than enough speed to make up for it. So, while SDRAM gets 4 times the data sent per cycle, RDRAM gets 8x the cycles SDRAM does, making it twice as fast.

You'll notice DDR is about as fast as RDRAM when it comes to bandwidth, because DDR is twice as fast as SDRAM.

11. Federelli

Rick, if you had to add DRR to that post, how would it be?

12. OliverR87

OliverR87 TS Rookie

RDRAM runs at 300, 350, 400, and 533 MHZ respectively. The only way you get 600, 700, 800, and 1066 MHZ is how RDRAM multiplies the clock speed by 2. Its like DDR memory, double data rate.

Oliver

13. Rick

Just as fast as DDR.. Twice as fast as SDRAM, basically.

14. Federelli

huh? i didn't understand

15. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

DDR is SDRAM double clocked, which means for every one command per clock cycle SDRAM does, DDR does 2. Thus speeds up to 266 are enabled between memory and CPU. RDRAM is quad pumped, which means it executed 4 times the regular commands per clock cycle, which is why Pentium 4's with Rambus always have FSB's of 400.

16. Federelli

so...

RDRAM: 800Mhz x 16bits = 1.6gb/sec
    DDRRAM: 266Mhz+ x xx bits = xxgb/sec...

17. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

What is wrong with RD-RAM, it is the only way to get any performance out of a P4.

And the only benchmark P4's are any good at is Quake 3 - me thinks Intel play Q3.

18. hyjacked

hyjacked TS Rookie

just to clear this up a bit

RDRAM: 800Mhz x 16bits x 2(dual channel) = 3.2gb/sec
    DDRRAM: 266Mhz+ x 64(?) bits = 1.6gb/sec...

and that's why current rdram outperforms ddr

and the reason i left the forums a couple months back, too many narrow minded people, have things changed at all? i don't see the same faces..

19. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

i bring sutekh's gift of death to all humans.....

http://www.theinquirer.org/16110111.htm

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1113551

20. hyjacked

hyjacked TS Rookie

a familiar face, long time no see....

http://www.ebnews.com/story/OEG20020304S0043

need i find more??

21. eddy05

eddy05 TS Rookie Posts: 223

MG...

Now that I've been opened up to the computer world, I realised that I'm beggining to hate my new computer. My new computer uses 423-pin CPU socket and Rambus RAM. Both which intel cease to continue. What's going to be the future of my upgrading life? Should I hate my computer or Intel?

22. hyjacked

hyjacked TS Rookie

your running a p4 1.8 and your looking to upgrade? i'd say stay with that till it's really too slow, then jump to whatever is current at the time, thigns change too fast.

shame that you jumped on the 423 bandwagon though

i would say the only related upgrade you might want to consider is an increase in memory, 256 isn't really a lot anymore, but it's enough to get teh job done.

23. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

usually i find that a processor upgrade tends to mean a motherboard upgrade as well, and you will still be able to get hold of more RAM for some time to come. All of the world's supply of RAMBUS isn't going to vanish overnight.

24. eddy05

eddy05 TS Rookie Posts: 223

I didn't know much at the time I bought it (It was on 29/12/01) I talked about an upgrade just in case my 1.8ghz gets outdated fast... and what do you know, I opened my casing and voila! All RIMM slots are full. I feel like taking a hammer out.

25. hyjacked

hyjacked TS Rookie

you could always replace the existing ones with larger ones, just remember, you have to replace 2 at a time with rdram

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.