R9800 Pro - ingame problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb and installed it today. the trouble is that all games that I try to run have horrible tear-like spots.. mostly noticable on dark surfaces but prevents me from playing any game.

I've already done a format to avoid confusion from my old gf4's files, and I've got catalyst 4.4 installed (tried the previous version also - same problems).

*I've attached a pic of bf1942 as an example.. it's truly about 2x as bad as it looks in the screenshot*

I've tried the following games and it's done it in all of them (in both directx and opengl modes): half-life, bf1942, battlefield vietnam, far cry, c&c generals, warcraft iii.

im open to all suggestions

btw, specs:
amd athlon xp 2000+
dfi lanparty nfII ultra b
768mb pc2700
ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb
dx9.0b

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 13
I'd say that its possible there is a problem with the ram on the video card. I'd consider sending it back and getting a replacement. You could download RivaTuner from www.guru3d.com and underclock it to make sure its not a heat issue but when I've overclocked my 9800 non-pro too far before I've seen strange artifacts not too dissimilar to what your seeing.

alright I followed your advice, arris, and it seems to have reduced the amount of tear-like spots on the screen.. but it is still there. I reduced the ram clock from 333 to 308mhz, and the gpu core clock from 375 to 303mhz.

does this follow with an overheating theory? i've got a stock "arctic cooling" cooler attached and on Hi. I already checked the heatsink for therm compound and added my own for consistency and thoroughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back