radeon 9200 far cry problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just got myself a new base unit its am64 3000 ,and i have a radeon 9200 256s mb card and i am having trouble getting far cry to play propley. The game plays alrite on the lowest settings but when ever i get in a vehicle and knock into somthing the game slows down to an unplayable speed. any help would be much appreciated. cheers

your pc has a case of bottlenecking it seems.just because the video card has 256 mb of memory doesnt mean its a fast one.farcry is a demanding game and what you're describing is quite common in the game with your settings.you've paired of an amd 64 3000+ cpu (very fast...very powerful)with a weak graphic card like 9200,having 256mb doesnt make it a fast card it only helps load more texture into its memory.however you might want to ensure that there is no background program running that might be hogging your systems resources.but like i said your cpu and video card are creatin a bottleneck.

also how much ram do you have?,that also an essential component and might cause some issues.

I have 512mb of ram currently and my os is xp pro. Can you recommend an alternative graphics card preferably somthing that won't cost the earth .Cheers mate !

you'll have to give an idea as to how much you're budget is?do you have a crt monitor or an lcd one?which games are you planning to run and lastly how much memoy do you want?

Ideally around the £100 mark . Would consider putting in another 512mb if it could improve the performance substantially.

Well No

A good card aint cheep. Check your buget. A NV 5500 OC is about 200$ that is (prob) the best pair up with your 3000+. And by the way XP makes your computer run like trash. Go win 2000 it's your best bet for gaming.

I recomend:
NV 5500
NV 5500 OC
ATI 9600
ATI X300
ATI X600

If you have PCI E go for the ATI X series. Their around 100$ amarican/canadian :D

now i cant give you the exact amount in pounds but i'll try and tell you video cards in 150$ range.a good one would be

from nvidia-
fx 5600
fx 5700
geforce 6600 agp(might be a bit higher than your budget)
geforce 6200(not the turbo charge version)

from ati
radeon 9600
radeon 9550
radeon 9700
x300/x600(if you can find an agp version)

well you can get any of these cards with atleast 128-256mb of video card memory.i dont think there is any need to buy more ddr ram(512mb) now,you might consider this when you have some spare cash.thats pretty much it,not exactly sure about uk prices but they should be close.the geofrce 6600 agp version, if you can find around your budget or even a bit higher would we well worth it.

to wotrop,..........which cards are you reffering to when you say nv 5500,i've never heard of them.there is a geforce 6200,6600,6800.are you by any chance refrerring to any of these or the gpu models.

GF, NV it's all the same. Just sell your 9200 on ebay. and the GF 6XXX series is a bit expensive for the young fellow. If you have just built your Computer, get a better card.
Otherwise I would recomend the fallowing rig:

MSI RS480M2-IL
Athlon 64 3000+
Sapphire Radeon™ X600 Pro 128MB
Kingston or OCZ ram (512)
Any ATX case should be ok
160 gig (ata) HDD
DVD & CD drives
Any old floppy
SB live 24 bit

Always trust techspot to give you a good rig.
:hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back