Radeon 9550 256MB AGP Installation Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
WinXP Home SP2, P4
AGP Aperture is 128MB.

I installed catalyst 6.12 but is not stable as Microsoft Driver.

Someone wrote referring your article "In the Device Manager, System Devices, find the "CPU to AGP Controller" and manually update it (Update Driver, Select from list, Don't Search- I will choose, etc.etc.) to "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge"

But I couldn't do it - I could go as far as "CPU to AGP Controller" and right click and get "Properties" - that's as far as I can go.

My issue is still present - at times it boots into regular mode (always boots fine on SafeMode) with display on the screen but when I click "Display" from the control panel display disappears and once it might re-booted!

Previoulsy tried catalyst 7.12 and the DVI didn't work but the analog worked fine.

Also tried the catalyst 7.5, but it is worse.

Did you have a different card previously?

Have you got the latest DirectX ?

**From memory {sometimes a bit dodgy}, the Catalyst Control Center needs .NET 2.0 to run, though the Drivers will work AOK.**

go into the Control Panel & remove any Display Drivers - ATI and - or NVidia.

Reboot.

let Windows install the standard VGA drivers, then run the LATEST ATI ones.

Reboot.

That should solve it.

It's a Fresh install

Fragrant Coit said:
Did you have a different card previously?

Have you got the latest DirectX ?

**From memory {sometimes a bit dodgy}, the Catalyst Control Center needs .NET 2.0 to run, though the Drivers will work AOK.**

go into the Control Panel & remove any Display Drivers - ATI and - or NVidia.

Reboot.

let Windows install the standard VGA drivers, then run the LATEST ATI ones.

Reboot.

That should solve it.

Which is the latest Directx version? Which site I should download it from?

.NET is current.

It is fresh install - I tried catalyst 6.12 and 7.5.

Hi Sciconf,
The 6.12's -> 7.12's aren't supported for your card. The 9550 is basically a pre-R300 series chip (not to be confused with the 9500 series as those were more like the 9600's).

I know it's confusing since 9500 series doesn't really include the 9550.. not sure what ATI was thinking there. :D

For future reference, when looking for drivers for your card, pretend you have a 9250. This will ensure you get the correct drivers (9250 same chip generation). You can get these direct from AMD's ATI section at:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeon-prer300-xp.html

Of course, you should first ensure you have your mainboard's chipset drivers and/or AGP drivers installed properly first. My prior guide on the PCI-to-PCI bridge instructions were for certain VIA chipset systems and usually for use with different model Radeon's. Which 9550 do you have? A true-blue ATI or Powered by ATI (such as Sapphire, Powercolor, HIS, etc.etc.).

Chances are pretty good, though, the 6.11's will fix most of your problem.. UNLESS you have a VIA Apollo Pro or KT series chipset- at which point there are some SmartGART tweaks to get stability there. :)

Good luck!

Questions and Details

Hi Sharkfood:

Mine is a true-blue ATI or Powered by ATI - Radeon 9550 AGP 256MB.

It is a ECS L4VXA2 motherboard - P4/2.5

I didn't try ver 6.11 drivers but tried ver 6.6 - it still didn't work. The best so far seems ver 7.3! The DVI still didn't work.

AGP drivers etc are installed properly.

Also, it is NOT a AIW - so, is it sufficient if I only install "Display drivers" and not the
- Catalyst Control Center and
- WDM Drivers

Hi again sciconf,
The 6.11's are the last officially supported version of drivers from AMD/ATI to have native support for the chipset on your videocard, so anything newer than the the 6.11's will be luck of the draw/on your own kinda thing.

I recommend the entire package as this will include the Catalyst Control center for adjusting settings + SmartGART. It wont install any components you do not have on your card. The bundled driver at the link in the previous email includes all, but also requires .NET 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0.

To complicate things, there are two versions of the 6.11 drivers. The one's above (pre-R300 bundle) and a standard bundle (which includes new X-series cards). Be sure to get the link above.

Your motherboard has a VIA P4x00 series chipset, which you can get the latest hyperion driver bundle at:
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1070

This bundle is similar to the Catalyst drivers- it will not try to install things you may not have and is a good update to run if you haven't already.

From there, if you encounter instability- there are a number of problems with that particular mainboard, but most can be worked around by disabling fast writes and/or agp writes in ATI's SmartGART (bottom of the tree list in Advanced Catalyst Control Center settings). Another more rare problem is issues with the AGP voltage regulator on the mainboard, which sometimes a new BIOS, adjustment or more SmartGART settings can help cure. Alternatively, disabling some of the onboard devices can also help if yours is one of the more rare ones with voltage issues.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back