TechSpot

Radeon 9600 xt PROBLEM

By Romanoman20
Nov 29, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I am having a problem with my Radeon 9600 xt graphics card. I have had it for about a year and it has been working fine untill recently. A while back I started to hear a weird noise coming from my computer while it was running. I tried to figure out where the noise was coming from but could never exactly put my finger on it. A few days later it stopped and my computer continued to run normal for about a month. Then one day I tried running my game, it played for about 5-10 minutes and then my whole computer just shut down with out any warning. I tried several times more playing games and my computer would continue to act the same. This only happened when I played games that required some sort of graphics, not in regular computer use though. I finally figured out that my fan for my graphics card was no longer spinning and probaly was the reason my computer was making a noise. I took out my graphics card and found the fan covered in dust, I cleaned it with a compressed air can and it still does not work. I want to try taking the fan off to see if there is any dust underneath it cause when I turn the fan with my finger, there is some resistance but there are plastic bindings holding the fan to the card. So my real question is, how do I take my fan off of the card and is there anyway I can put it back on afterwards? Should I just take off my old fan and buy a new one? Additionally, is it logical to think that my fan is the problem or could there be something else messed up? It would really help me to get a anwser, I NEED GAMES! :)

Thanks for your time
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.