RADEON 9700 Pro problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashcraft

Whenever I try to put my 9700 Pro in, everything loads just fine until after it loads Windows XP. Then when it going to try to log me in my account, it just goes black. I can see the mouse cursor and even move it around, but it doesn't go any farther. I've tried just about anything, I tried to disable my on-board video card on BIOS, but it doesn't even show it in BIOS, I have tried to disable it by right clicking on the desktop and going to the settings, I have reformated the computer, is there anything anyone can think of, cause I'm really annoyed of it right now. I don't really know anything about computers so if anyone explains something, be sure to be really descriptive. Also tell me if I left anything out that you might need to know and how to check it. I would really appreciate the help from anyone.

P.S. It's also AGP if that helps any

Do you have the 4-pin power connector from the PSU directly to the video card plugged in?

Assuming you do...

-Boot up in safe mode.
-Go to your device manager and find the integrated graphics. Delete the driver.
-Turn off computer
-Insert new card
-Attach monitor to new card
-Turn on computer
-It should find the new hardware automatically and ask you for the drivers.

If the above does not work, check in your motherboard manual. You should be able to download it from the maker's website.

Some boards have jumpers that need to be adjusted to disable onboard graphics. But we can only guess unless you give us your motherboard make/model number.

Good luck!

This is the power connection I am talking about. Confirm that you have it plugged in to your PSU

00032048.jpg

Yeah I have done everything you have listed, I even called down to the place where I bought the video card and they told me the same thing. I did all that, but I still get the same results, even in safe mode. Right after Windows XP loads and right before it logs me in my account (I only have one account) the whole screen just stays black. The mouse cursor appears and I can even move it around, but that's as good as it's going to get. Plus if I didn't have the Y cord plugged in properly then a little red message along with really loud annoying beeping sounds come up, so I know it can't be the power supply.

Have you checked your motherboard user's manual to see if there are jumpers for AGP?

Have you updated your chipset drivers, and bios?

Who is the maker of your power supply, and how many watts is it rated at?

It may be that your PSU is simply not enough to juice the card.

I've seen an issue with a simliar card. Here's how I fixed it...

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking (tap F8 key a split second before the Windows XP logo appears during boot up) and choose "Safe Mode with Networking" from the menu.

From here, you'll be able to get online and download the latest drivers from www.ati.com. (I'm going to recommend the control panel version, not CCC! Just to avoid .net issues for now). Once it is downloaded, run the software package; It will uncompress into C:\ATI\Support\(version of the driver).

• Open device manager (Start -> Run -> Type devmgmt.msc and press [enter]
  • Expand Display Adapters
  • Double click on the first device
  • Click Driver tab
  • Click Update Driver
  • Check "No, not at this time" (If Windows asks you to search for the driver over the Internet).
  • Click Next
  • Check "Install from a list..."
  • Click Next
  • Uncheck "Search removable media.."
  • Check "Include this location.."
  • Click Browse
  • Navigate to C:\ATI\Support\(The appropriate folder)\Driver\2KXP_INF
  • Click OK and click Next and Finish

When you restart the computer, the problem SHOULD disappear. It seems related to the default Microsoft video driver (at least my situation was). Once you get it updated, you won't have this problem again unless you somehow are forced to use the default MS driver again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back