Radeon RX 7700 XT Review: AMD's latest mid-range GPU

AMD is going for the "fanboi bucks" but is consistently screwing up which product gets the upcharge. Just AMD things I guess.

I understand AMD's strategy of encouraging the purchase of products with higher margins, and there is also the issue of high yield per wafer. You need to waste a perfect chip by disabling CU to sell as 7700XT with less margins, which makes little sense.

Not worth it at the price. Spend an extra $50 or so to gain a good 15% performance boost by going with the 7800XT.

If the price on this card was $379, that would be a helluva deal then. Coming in under the 4060Ti and out performing it (before anyone says, "But, but, but....raytracing!" - no one actually cares at this price point. they only say they do because, Nvidia good! AMD bad!). At the same time, cut the price on the 7800XT by $20 to put it at $479.

Unfortunately at where the price is for this card, do yourself a favor and spend a little more by going with AMD's 7800XT or spend the extra $150 more for a 4070 if you absolutely need your Nvidia fix because going with the 4060Ti is a waste of money.

These cards remind me of Intel after Haswell when they were releasing incrementally faster CPUs because there was no competition. AMD does it even when they're behind.

Any reason you guys didn't include Cyberpunk in RT performance? As a 6950XT and 3080 owner, I think it's important to show the entire picture. RT heavy games like Cyberpunk absolutely murder AMD GPUs, even the new ones. Path tracing makes my 6950XT run like a slide show. I'm ok with it, since I was well aware that I wasn't buying the GPU for RT performance. But it's important that you inform the audience and include games that don't work very well with AMD, otherwise you're not painting a complete picture.

7700xt is really good this time, didn't like how much they cut 6700xt last time around. Problem is, 6800 is still better. Lower price and more vram with roughly the same performance, if not worse one.If you get a 6800 that clocks above 2500mhz (+15%) like my PC fighter doing 2515-2540 stable then 7700xt is just silly.

Gonna get one if its under $399..
I'm fairly certain that AMD price the card at $450 so they could factor in the inevitable price cut. "oh, look, it's $399 now!" meanwhile, it was also designed as a $399 product, they just has to up the MSRP to factor in a price because because that's how modern economics works, apparently.

After price drops later, this is a good card to upgrade from my 1080 Ti without spending too much. Same power with 1080 Ti means no need to upgrade my 750W PSU.

I just don't feel like going for the top tier GPU anymore.

Maybe I'm just old but I kind of expect top of the range performance for $500, not middle tier. I just can't get past seeing a GPU as a bit of electronics with a couple of fans attached. I honestly can't see myself buying another GPU while this lasts.

Are there too many choices?

I keep trying to remember the real difference in how I react to the visual experience of Epic vs Ultra vs Very High vs High with resolutions of 4k vs 1440 vs 1080. What happened to Medium and Low? I think that adds up to 18 choices. With so many choices, I can understand $50 incremental pricing - but is it useful? Or, is this the silliness before things crack up?

Okay... Hold up. I don't understand the perspective of the reviews OR the article here. This card is:

- A lower cost per frame than the 6800 XT
- Better performance than the 4060 Ti AND cheaper
- Even basically identical RT performance to the 4060 Ti, while still being cheaper

And yet, somehow... We're all complaining about it.

What... What else could you want at this point??? It's a new card with better cost per frame than the previous generation that performs much better than the same-priced nVidia option and performs the same or slightly better than the more expensive nVidia option. What else does AMD need to do for you??? :joy:

This site sometimes, I swear. :skull:

Okay... Hold up. I don't understand the perspective of the reviews OR the article here. This card is:

- A lower cost per frame than the 6800 XT
- Better performance than the 4060 Ti AND cheaper
- Even basically identical RT performance to the 4060 Ti, while still being cheaper

And yet, somehow... We're all complaining about it.

What... What else could you want at this point??? It's a new card with better cost per frame than the previous generation that performs much better than the same-priced nVidia option and performs the same or slightly better than the more expensive nVidia option. What else does AMD need to do for you??? :joy:

This site sometimes, I swear. :skull:
+50% over current 6700xt retail price for 20% higher performance.

It would make a lot more sense at $400 or perhaps $350. At the current price there is no reason to buy it; most potential buyers should be able to scrape up the extra $50 for a 7800XT. There is even less reason to buy the versions with fancy coolers that cost MORE than a base model 7800XT.

It would make a lot more sense at $400 or perhaps $350. At the current price there is no reason to buy it; most potential buyers should be able to scrape up the extra $50 for a 7800XT. There is even less reason to buy the versions with fancy coolers that cost MORE than a base model 7800XT.
more expensive, a little slower and has less vram than their own 6800

plus didn't hub say 12g is gonna be like 8g, but worse ?

As Somone who recently got a 6800, I'm happier I didn't wait on the new cards since it seems to outperform the 7700xt. Not by a lot in most games but with that 16GB of VRAM, I'm going to be able to dialup most of my settings and have a good experience while not having broke the bank to get it. Thanks Sis for the Birthday Gift, late though it be.
Seriously, from looking at many of the benches, even at 1440 which is all I worry about, my new 6800 handles things quite well so I'm not going to complain other then it didn't come with warp drive, transporters and a holodeck.

I'm not really impressed with the 7x00 series to be fair. The 6x series would be better, if your looking at it from a OC perspective. Where with the 7x00 series it's completely locked down now, the 6x00 series you have the benefit of toying around with Morepowertools.

Basicly my "uncorked" 6700XT is faster on avg then the 7700XT - where there's room for even more. It's a weird series or launch if you compare it to the previous one.

+50% over current 6700xt retail price for 20% higher performance.
And as a 6700xt owner I would pay for it, the 20% fps upgrade can be helpful in some games. The only reason they aren't praising it is because the 7800xt exists. Either way, both cards are way better than nvidia. You conveniently forgot that the 6700xt ISNT new card. It cost 480 on launch.

So actually the launch price DECREASED by 30 dollars compared to last gen and performance increased by 20% (that's pretty sizeable). Does the 7800xt arguably have better value? Yes. It's a great card. That doesnt make the 7700xt bad or invalidate it.
You guys are just LOOKING for reasons to hate it. Cheaper launch price, way faster than last gen, and making nvidia look like a joke but apparently (despite the price CUT) this is upcharging, the card is pretty bad, and overpriced?
Stop looking for things to hate about the card just for the sake of finding something to post about. This is the only community that can find a way to complain when a card gets a price cut compared to the last gen ON TOP OF massively better performance.

I mentioned "current retail price".
of course a last gen card is cheaper. I'd be pretty concerned if it wasn't. Beating a last gen card in price to performance isnt easy. The 6700xt is crazy cheap right now considering its launch price and its popularity. There's nothing wrong with the pricing of the 7700xt.

Back