Radio station heard through my subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The radio station doesn't come through the speakers of my computer, as others have in one thread I've found on this site, only my subwoofer. Has anyone else had this problem? Any answers?
Thanks,
Marsha

try moving your woofer and wires around to see if reception varies. You are probably picking up an AM station because something around it is acting like a receiver

Do the wires have a splice anywhere where you twisted them together? Or is the wiring in your house really old - it might not be grounded proper

I don't have any splices that I know of, but my lights dim when I use my printer. I think everything in my office, including the computer and woofer are on one line. Could overload be the problem? Thank you for answering, Blind Dragon.

You can buy ferrite beads that go around cables and suppress RF interference.

I'm Grounded For Life.....

Sometimes a bad cable (line level, most probably)can induct RF signals into a system. Substitute the Sub cable, see if that helps. If anything is inducting RF, I would suspect a grounding problem. You can ground a computer or receiver case by wiring a single wire from the case itself to a COLD water pipe. On many cases a screw is provided for just this purpose. That could help with stray signals also. Run a quality extension cord into the office from another circuit in the building.
Most surge suppressors have RF filters built into them, in case the AC line itself is "dirty". Some Sub-Woofers have a phasing switch, this is something else to try
It sounds like the electrical system to the office in really inadequate. Lights dimming indicates too much load on the AC line. In a worst case scenario, it's a recipe for an electrical fire.

marshareaves said:
I don't have any splices that I know of, but my lights dim when I use my printer. I think everything in my office, including the computer and woofer are on one line. Could overload be the problem? Thank you for answering, Blind Dragon.

overload shouldn't cause RF interference. Sounds like it not a good ground.

As Nodsu said above you can buy RF chokes -they are cheap i found 10 of them for $5

http://www.electronicpartsforless.c...Detail.aspx?sfid=100806&c=10033209&i=51518873

Into The Neutral Corner.. er Terminal.....

Blind Dragon said:
overload shouldn't cause RF interference. Sounds like it not a good ground.

As Nodsu said above you can buy RF chokes -they are cheap i found 10 of them for $5

http://www.electronicpartsforless.c...Detail.aspx?sfid=100806&c=10033209&i=51518873

In AC home wiring, the white wire (USA 115VAC wiring convention) is the "neutral wire"(return) effectively another ground, and that's why the actual ground (green wire) doesn't have any effect on the circuit, it's there for safety reasons...nothing more. Well, it also assists in supression spurious AC lline hum. (This is the function of directing AC leakage current to earth). So, a disruption in the white (neutral or common) wire could be acting as a bad ground. The lights dimming could be high load/ and or high resistance in either the hot (black wire) or the neutral/ ground.

In any event perhaps my original post should have addressed this as 2 separate issues, which it may or MAY NOT be.

It does seem prudent to investigate the light dimming issue for, as I stated safety reasons, since the radio in the sub is merely a nuisance issue.

It doesn't seem proper that or reasonable the something with the draw of a printer should be dimming lights. It would make more sense that an electric space heater or AC unit would dim lights on ignition.

I suppose you could hang TVRI filters all over everything and that in fact would cure the "problem", but it still seems prudent to determine whether the TVRI is a problem or merely a symptom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back