TechSpot

RAID in a Gaming rig

By Mekong
Jan 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I thought it would be best if I got two western digital 36.7GB SATA 10,000RPM raptor HardDrives use them in raid 0, but now I heard this might not of been the best thing to get.

Is that true?

I use the comp for mostly gaming but more and more for digital design software and image editing, sound and some minor video.

I was planning on useing a ATA133 80gb harddrive I already have as the storage drive having all my saved files on it and having the SATA raid drives for programs and os.

Did I just waste my money on two drives when I should of just got one big one?
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Someone did a test, I cant remember if it was HardOCP or Tomshardware and they discovered that raid had almost no benefits in gaming. Even Maximum PC admitted it in last months issue.
  3. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 1,595

99% of the benefit of RAID in gaming is going to be in these three areas:

1) Starting the game
    2) Saving/Loading the game
    3) Loading new textures/models/etc when you enter a new area / new map / whatever

Unless you are experiencing very long load times in your games, you're not going to see that much of a benefit.

HOWEVER, if you are an extreme multitasker, that, for instance, games while downloading 50 mp3s while burning a DVD while... ... ... so on and so forth, it's a different story.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.