Not open for further replies.

fullmetalvegan

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.16GHz OC
Mobo: ASUS Striker II NSE / NVIDIA nForce 790i SLI
Mem: OCZ Technology DDR3 4x1GB PC3-10666 / 1333MHz / Platinum Edition
Video: MSI GeForce 8800GTS 512MB 700/2000MHz
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB

So, I got two Western Digital Raptor's recently to run RAID 0 on them in Windows Vista. I enabled RAID in the BIOS, specified which ones to use, loaded the NVIDIA Raid tool and configured RAID. Went to install Windows and I kept getting blue screens of death during the install of Vista. i eventually managed to have it install on 1GB of memory, having removed the other three sticks suspecting that it was a memory problem.

MemTest finds no errors with the memory so I find it odd that I can't get RAID to work properly when installing Vista. Basically once I get through the install the system runs fine, but it's trying to get that far that's annoying. After I did manage to get Vista installed, it ran for a while then when I rebooted it kept locking up on the loading screen and safe wouldn't load up either.

So I deleted the array and set it back up and then found out of the hard drives had failed. They both show up in the BIOS, but one gets 'Disk Boot Error' when attempoting to install Windows on it outside of RAID, and won't show up in My Computer when set as a slave. So I'm assuming it's busted yeah?

Point is, anyone had similiar problems with attempting to install RAID 0 on Vista? And know of any good ways to get around errors? Is it easier to install RAID through Windows or from the initial clean install onto the array pre-Windows.

And yes I loaded all RAID drivers during the Windows install as per the NVIDIA 64-bit RAID drivers that came with my ASUS motherboards CD.

Well, it's kinda hard to update anything when you have two blank hard drives in a RAID array with Windows installation either freezing during load up or crashing to blue screens after initial install session. =P I can't even get into Windows to update any form of drivers.

Problem seems either Vista related, NVIDIA RAID related, or hardware.

System runs perfect outside of a RAID array so it leans towards the first two. =|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back