Rainbow Six Vegas and weird requirements!

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughable

Hi there!

Well, I recently bought and installed RSV to play on my newly purchased grunty machine. Much to my despair, when I installed the game, it said that my CPU wasn't powerful enough, that I needed a 3.0Ghz Pentium processor or better for the game to run smoothly. I don't have a 3.0Ghz processor, but I do have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, at 2.13Ghz.

So! My first question is quite simple, really. Is an Intel Core 2 Duo processor at a lower clock speed really less powerful than a 3.0Ghz Pentium? I mean, from my very limited knowledge of processors, a pentium processor only has the one processor, whereas Core 2 Duo has two. Surely, this means that the Core 2 Duo processor should be better, right?

Another thing is, assuming that the processor isn't an issue, when I play the RSV, I actually have to tone down the shadow detail, in order to get some semblance of smooth gameplay. I am aware of the fact that RSV uses some hardcore SM3 stuff which I have completely no understanding of, but my GFX card is an 8600 GTS, which is supposed to be able to support SM3.

For the record, here are my system specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13Ghz
2Gb DDRsomethingorrather memory
nVidia 8600 GTS, 256mb

..and these are the minimum, and recommended specs (respectively) for RSV from Gamespot:
System: 3000 MHz Pentium IV or AMD Athlon or equivalent
RAM: 1024 MB
Video Memory: 128 MB
Hard Drive Space: 7000 MB

System: 3500 MHz Pentium IV/AMD or equivalent
RAM: 1024 MB
Video Memory: 256 MB
Hard Drive Space: 10000 MB

Finally, one final question: I'm really quite confused about this. I hear that the E6520 is a 64bit processor, but I'm running a 32bit OS (Windows XP). Would a 64bit copy of Windows XP (or Windows Vista, for that matter) work more efficiently with the dual core processors compared to its 32bit counterparts?

Any answers/clarifications/comments to any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated :D

Well, that's what I thought. But with anything set to high, I get really heavy FPS drops. So... I was thinking that it could be something to do with the fact that while I have a 64bit capable processor, I'm only running a 32bit OS. Someone prove me wrong please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back