Rainbow Six Vegas and weird requirements!

By laughable
Jul 3, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there!

Well, I recently bought and installed RSV to play on my newly purchased grunty machine. Much to my despair, when I installed the game, it said that my CPU wasn't powerful enough, that I needed a 3.0Ghz Pentium processor or better for the game to run smoothly. I don't have a 3.0Ghz processor, but I do have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, at 2.13Ghz.

So! My first question is quite simple, really. Is an Intel Core 2 Duo processor at a lower clock speed really less powerful than a 3.0Ghz Pentium? I mean, from my very limited knowledge of processors, a pentium processor only has the one processor, whereas Core 2 Duo has two. Surely, this means that the Core 2 Duo processor should be better, right?

Another thing is, assuming that the processor isn't an issue, when I play the RSV, I actually have to tone down the shadow detail, in order to get some semblance of smooth gameplay. I am aware of the fact that RSV uses some hardcore SM3 stuff which I have completely no understanding of, but my GFX card is an 8600 GTS, which is supposed to be able to support SM3.

For the record, here are my system specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13Ghz
    2Gb DDRsomethingorrather memory
    nVidia 8600 GTS, 256mb

..and these are the minimum, and recommended specs (respectively) for RSV from Gamespot:
    System: 3000 MHz Pentium IV or AMD Athlon or equivalent
    RAM: 1024 MB
    Video Memory: 128 MB
    Hard Drive Space: 7000 MB

System: 3500 MHz Pentium IV/AMD or equivalent
    RAM: 1024 MB
    Video Memory: 256 MB
    Hard Drive Space: 10000 MB

Finally, one final question: I'm really quite confused about this. I hear that the E6520 is a 64bit processor, but I'm running a 32bit OS (Windows XP). Would a 64bit copy of Windows XP (or Windows Vista, for that matter) work more efficiently with the dual core processors compared to its 32bit counterparts?

Any answers/clarifications/comments to any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated :D
  2. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

No the Core 2 Duo kills the Pentium 4 in everything. Your computer should own in RSV.
  3. laughable

laughable Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well, that's what I thought. But with anything set to high, I get really heavy FPS drops. So... I was thinking that it could be something to do with the fact that while I have a 64bit capable processor, I'm only running a 32bit OS. Someone prove me wrong please?
  4. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.