Ram 3600 mhz vs 4000 mhz

Avian117

So, I’m looking in to upgrading my ram going for a total 32 gigabytes (which will be plenty for my needs). Now I’m not planning on overclocking my hardware anytime soon since I’m basically looking for base performance. I currently have 2x8gb of Corsair Vengeance RGB both at 4000 MHz. Now would it be overkill to go with another 4000 MHz again or would 3600 give me more than enough for high performance at base clock speeds? Also, which would be the better but, Corsair Vengence pro or Dominator?

I have seen this video before but my only concern is if this same testing would still apply to my i7-8700k processor. I don’t want to bottle neck my processor with slower ram and I’d want plenty of room for future upgrades. Now if 3200 is still that sweet spot then I’ll that, but I’d need updated information rather than a video from one year ago.

Then you might wish to run or find bandwidth calculations comparing what the RAM can deliver and the CPU can process. There may also be some special considerations which arise from your specific rig such as an overclock.

EDIT: Might have some better information here... https://www.game-debate.com/future-proof-my-pc

Last edited:
I have seen this video before but my only concern is if this same testing would still apply to my i7-8700k processor. I don’t want to bottle neck my processor with slower ram and I’d want plenty of room for future upgrades. Now if 3200 is still that sweet spot then I’ll that, but I’d need updated information rather than a video from one year ago.

No if you have 2x 8gb ddr4 ram speed at 4000, you pony up and buy another 4000mhz.
You won't be bottled neck or suffer much at all, going back down some speed wouldn't make sense at all.

Back