RAM dropped from 6GB to 4GB, Vista 64, Asus P6T SE motherboard

So recently I was looking into overclocking my computer, I just copied an easy method a YouTube video showed me but then the cores got pretty hot and I didn't pass a stress test (computer turned itself off during it). So I went into the BIOS and reset everything to default and everything seemed to be running fine.

A few days later and I notice it's all slowed down quite a lot and I've just identified that the problem is the RAM. Task manager shows me that my CPU usage is usually pretty low but my physical memory is usually pretty high (admittedly partly because I have lots of pointless applications, but they were all there before and it was running fine).

I bought this computer with 6 GBs of RAM but the Windows Vista Welcome Centre shows only 4 GBs now for some reason. I don't understand why because I haven't even opened the computer at any point, so it's nothing physical.

When I use a program call CPU-Z, it shows what's in the image attached as 'cpu z.jpg'

So CPU-Z recognizes that I do have 6 GBs of RAM, so why doesn't Windows Vista? I've reset everything to defaults in the BIOS.

Here are my specs if you need them:

CPU: Intel® Core i7 920
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V8 LGA1366
Motherboard: Asus P6T SE (Intel X58 chipset, IncludedCrossfire)
Memory: 6.0GB Corsair DDR3 1333mhz XMS3 CL9
Hard Drives: 500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 5x Blu-Ray ROM S-ATA DVD±RW
Second optical drive: 20x DVD±RW DL S-ATA Lightscribe
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB
Sound card: Asus Xonar D1
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Accessories: PCI Digital TV Tuner Card
PSU: 700W EZCool Tornado

And yes, I have run Windows Update and stuff - remember, it used to show 6 GB and I haven't uninstalled anything, so it should still be able to.

Would seriously appreciate any help on this one. I have uploaded pics of the BIOS.

Attachments

• cpu z.jpg
    cpu z.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 4
I would personally remove all the RAM except for one stick (no power to the pc first) and then reset the bios, either by the board jumper, or by removing the cmos battery.
Boot the computer to make sure it starts ok.
Do this again adding one stick at a time.
Once you have all your RAM in, reset the bios again and then power up the pc.

Fingers crossed.

Back