Ram for a Asus A7V8X-X MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

I have this older MB with 512 mb of Kingston 333 mhz DDR SDRAM PC2700, and I'd like to add more memory, bringing it up to at least 1 Gig---but I'm not sure how to match the current memory stick with whatever I would buy and add. So that's my question, which Ram would be a good fit and work together with my current set up?

If you intend adding ram rather than replacing, you shoulg get as exact a match for your current ram as is possible. Mixing ram speeds is a huge no no, especially on asus mobo's unless you like having instabilities that is.

Extremely so. Also, because its an asus, you should even try to get the exact same make. Asus mobo's can be very finicky about ram. I should know, have a look at my system spec's, i use one.

Just incase it helps, my ram is infineon, and ive never had a problem with it.

Also - http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=A7V8X-X shows what types of ram your mobo can use.

You'll probably have difficulty locating exactly the same RAM, it'd be easier to grab 2 new sticks of 512, or a single 1gb.

DDR400 {pc3200} will work fine, it's backwards compatible.

I found an exact match on ebay--so I'm going to try that. Reason being is I'm low on funds, so a complete upgrade isn't in the cards right now.

Be sure to memtest them when you can afford several hours of downtime (overnight). If it comes up clean, you are all set. If not, better drop back to what you had because you'll get weird problems.

rik said:
Cool, let us know how it works out.:)

Well, I spoke too soon on the "exact match". Everything else matched up, but when it came down to installing it, I found that the notch at the bottom of the memory chip was not in the same place. Grrrrr! I should've just started new, but then I might have done the same thing in purchasing new memory for my MB as well. The thing is, how do I know via the specs, where the slot is going to be in the stick of RAM?

It should only have 1 notch if it's DDR....

You've tried turning it around?

DDR & DDR2 have 1 notch - in different places so you can't install the wrong type, PC100/133 have 2 notches.

This one I just bought has 2 notches. But it's labeled---wait--I just found a sticker on the chip itself that says PC133. It's faded a bit, and the 1 is nearly rubbed out, but the 33 is plainly visible. Obviously it ain't PC2700 then, is it? It looks like I've been had by Ebay.

Kind of - it's not what you wanted, but it is more expensive to buy.

Was it purchased local to you?

Anyway, DDR is readily available new as well.

Not what I wanted, nor can I use it. And it was across the country from me that I bought it from. I hope to get a refund at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back