RAM from different manufacturers and PC performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

I have got two different RAM ( from different vendors, but both of them DDR), both of them are512 MB (would it be difference if one of them 512MB DDR and other 1024MB DDR), would it affect the performance of a PC (P4 motherboard Intel ) ?

I am aware that modern systems incorporate dual channel ram mode, here is my motherboard model

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...rofessional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!#BIO

Intel® Desktop Board D865PERL
When I checked the BIOS's setting I found this :

Code:
Memory Mode --------------------[B][COLOR="Red"]Single Channel[/COLOR][/B]
Memory Channel A Slot 0----------1024 MB (DDR400)
Memory Channel A Slot 1-----------Not Installed
Memory Channel B Slot 0-----------Not Installed
Memory Channel B Slot 1-----------Not Installed

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1416/oneram1024qo5.jpg

All the above options are in gray color (can not be changed).

Because I have heard that it would be preferred to install RAM from same vendor

I'm sorry.. but I don't think i fully understand your question.
You are right, I have not organized the thread in the proper way, sorry for that.

The motherboard that I have got is : Intel® Desktop Board D865PERL,,,right now I have got only one RAM (1024 DDR) installed on channel A slot 0, I want to add another two extra RAMs (each one is 512 MB ) to the current RAM (1024 DDR),,,,total will be 2048 MB,,,,,since these three RAMs are from different manufacturers (but all of them DDR) , will that affect the performance of the PC ?

I am aware that dual channel ram mode, would affect the performance of a PC if we install RAMs from different vendors,,,,

But when I checked BIOS's setting for the motherboard that I have got I found these details (i.e Memory mode is not Dual Channel ram, it is single Channel ram):
Code:
Memory Mode --------------------Single Channel
Memory Channel A Slot 0----------1024 MB (DDR400)
Memory Channel A Slot 1-----------Not Installed
Memory Channel B Slot 0-----------Not Installed
Memory Channel B Slot 1-----------Not Installed
All the above options are in gray color (can not be changed).

Download the manual for your board!! Now!!

Intel offers several pages about "what would happen if" contingencies for populating one of their motherboards. As to chip configuring Intel is one of the most forgiving around, but you must install DIMMs in a certain way to have it run in dual channel mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back