RAM Insanity

By lo_
Oct 6, 2006
  1. Hi!

I recently purchased a new machine, and bought the RAM individually from a different vendor.

The specs are:

Intel Core2Duo E6600 CPU
    MSI Neo-F P965 Board
    Geforce7600GS GPU
    WD160GB HDD

and the ram is G-Skill DDR2-667Mhz CL5-5-5-15 1.8v (2 * 1GB sticks)

When running Memtest, I get several errors on only ONE of the memory sticks, occuring on two adjacent sectors of ram. The very weird thing is, that it only happens on my machine.

At first I sent the memory back to the vendor, but they say they can't find anything wrong with it, so I tested it myself on other machines, and was amazed not to find the errors on those machines as well...

I assume it can't be a motherboard error or compatibility problem, since it only happens on one of the two identical memory modules.

How could this be? Please help, I'm losing my mind here!

2. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Remember that when you turn off the computer, all of the items stored in it gets erased. It is normal to have some errors in memory, and it is probably fine.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

4. lo_

lo_ TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for the post Ted, but doesn't solve my problem... :\

the memeory is compatible with the mobo, as evident by the fact that one of the sticks has no problem with it.
  5. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 575

Can you switch it to the other memory slots in your machine and test them there? Could be that you just happen to have a bad ram slot.
  6. lo_

yeah that was my thought too at first, but nope. the good stick works on all slots and the bad stick gets errors on all slots...
  7. Tedster

that is not a guarantee of compatibility.
  8. lo_

does it have to be compatible with the actual brandname or just the memory type (ddr2-667mhz 1.8v)?
  9. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You ram needs to be compatible with your mobo. You mobo`s manual or website will have details of what brands of ram are compatible.

No it`s not normal. Errors with ram are either caused by faulty or incompatible ram, or possibly a faulty dimm slot.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  10. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

Is this the Model Name : F2-5400PHU2-2GBNS (1GB x 2). If it is, what's the voltage range written on the label?
  11. lo_

Close, it's F2-5400PHU2-2GBNT
    I think they're the same, just without the heatspreaders that come with the GBNS

the voltage is 1.8v, and that's what I run them on.
  12. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

I couldn't find a Neo-F board on MSI's global site, only a Neo. There's a BIOS update for this that lists 'Enhance memory compatibility'. Use the Live Update to check.

I've also seen that RAM advertised with a voltage range of 1.8-2.0 (most RAM does). Try upping it a notch. cnet.
  13. lo_

hey peter, appreciate your help

Yeah I saw that bios update, but even after updating it didn't solve the problem.

I could try upping the voltage, but doesn't that put me at risk of frying the memory?
  14. Tedster

some motherboards are very specific about brands AND types. Asus and DELL are known to be two examples.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.