Ram issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off i am new here so please forgive me if this has been tackled already.

I am a member of pcpitstop and there was not much help there in regards to my issue. I was reading in some of your posts and noticed you are more detailed and may be able to help.

Here is some details on my computer.

Before my issue: http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary.asp?conid=16649647

3 months later and now a issue: http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary.asp?conid=17332810

I have two 512MB mem cards and when both are in there it starts up for about 15 minutes then reboots. Then on reboot shows 728 or something like that. Then 5 minutes later reboot. Stays at 448. (vid card) I know both cards are in properly. My test before Jan 07 shows i had 1GB so i know it has to be something. I have tried all available solutions.

* FYI In Jan 07 i had to reinstall Windows ( i screwed up the registry ) Thats is all i did.

Anyways,
No matter how they are installed together or not its always 448. blink.gif

If both slots work on the motherboard and both cards are good what are my options. I really want to get back to 1GB of memory without spending any money.

*** O yea btw this is a work computer and well the boss is not a nice person. So im limited to what i can do. ***

Any help on this situation is Highly Appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Sorry about that. Here is an attachment of what my system as of now.

I hope it works. If not ill try again.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Attachments

• Belarc System.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 11
Ok dasudevil,
good job on the specs this time... It looks like you still have a corrupt OS, at least to a point. Are the memory cards USB or slotted card reader types. Belarc says "slot A0 and A1", showing one populated with 512MB and the other at 0, or not populated.

Look for the memory card(s) in the Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If you can see one or both of the cards, right-click and uninstall them. Remove the memory cards and restart the system. After the computer is up, insert the memory cards

Great corrupted.:blackeye: Arg.

I do not have the extra 512mb DDR installed because I was getting tired of the computer shutting down. The one in there now is a Patriot that I purchased. So at the moment the other is not populated.

In regards to the device manager I found it and to be honest I have no clue what your talking about.

Universal Serial Bus controllers (listed)
USB composite Device
USB Root Hub x 5
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller x 4
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

I did not see anything listed as the memory cards.

Also you say to remove both cards (at the moment one) and Boot? I thought you needed ram to boot? If there is none in there how does that work?

As of right now I am :confused:

Since our last talk I have DL everest and ran a check. I have seen that in here, and looks nicer too. I have included that for you. Maybe it shows more than Belarc.

I really appreciate your help.

Ok I thought it made it thru however says it was too big. What are the details you are looking for?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

I think I got it. After several attempts to resize I removed some of the stuff I dont think you will need. Then again I could be wrong.

here is the bottom half. :)

Attachments

• Report of system.txt
    97.1 KB · Views: 6
"In regards to the device manager i found it and to be honest i have no clue what your talking about"...

Ok,
let's reboot here :rolleyes:

Your system memory is what we are talking about here. Boy was I confused. I'm rebuilding a 1954 Gibson Guitar amp, and trying to help here at the same time. You are using on-board video. This is using 64MB of your single 512MB module. The system reports 448MB... 512-64 right? When you add another 512MB module, the system still reports 448MB total RAM. Are both 512MB modules the same type and speed?

Sorry take your time on the guitar. And thank you for taking the time.

Correct on the on board vid card. Im ok with that taking 64mb of what ever i have. Both 512MB cards are the same. PC 2700 333. One came with the machine and the other is a patriot. I also cross referenced with patriot (the one i bought) and it is compatible with the machine.

When i place the new or old card in (now both are in) either the PC will boot properly or will not get past the boot screen. Kinda like it does not respond. If it does reboot properly it will display 960ish Ram in the computer properties. About 10-15 minutes later it shuts down with no warnings, codes anything. restarts like normal then shows 448 with both cards in.

Is something broken? And if so how can i find out?

Thanks again

Some Confusion could have been circumvented by calling the memory "cards" by their given names: Dual Inline Memory Modules. Granted they are Printed circuit cards. If something works cold, then stops working hot then there likely is a thermal problem afoot. Have we determined that the machine will work correctly with the new module as the only installed RAM? Or, maybe a corrosion or dirt problem in the socket which has, as of up to now, been unused. Collecting dust, so to speak. Boot your system with the new DIMM as the only DIMM and see what happens.

You could try snapping a module in and out of the formerly unused socket a few times to shine up the contacts a bit.
Be sure to wear an anti-static strap while you're doing this. (there is a a moral imperative to add that disclaimer). If a computer won't go past the boot screen, then it's likely failing it's POST (Power On self Test) a major portion of which is a memory test.

It really seems to be that the memory is simply incompatible. Have you tried running memtest86 from a bootable floppy? Systems like HP, Compaq, and Dell are very finicky when it comes to compatible hardware.

captaincranky said:
Some Confusion could have been circumvented by calling the memory "cards" by their given names: Dual Inline Memory Modules. Granted they are Printed circuit cards. If something works cold, then stops working hot then there likely is a thermal problem afoot. Have we determined that the machine will work correctly with the new module as the only installed RAM? Or, maybe a corrosion or dirt problem in the socket which has, as of up to now, been unused. Collecting dust, so to speak. Boot your system with the new DIMM as the only DIMM and see what happens.

ok sorry Dimm.

Both cards work. in either slot.

Here is the configuration that i tried.
A (512 did not buy)
B (512 Patriot (bought))

C Slot 1 dimm
D Slot 2 dimm

My configurations were as follows:

Single use
AC worked
AD worked

BC worked
BD worked

Both together:
AC / BD did not work
AD / BC look up :p

Right now patriot is in there. The other is chilling at my desk. I just changed them last month. I don't know y i did that. I guess i was tired of not using something i bought.

As regards to the mem test i have however the test was about 25 minutes then the phone started ringing of the hook. So that stopped. How long should i wait? Please remember this is a work PC.

When i do the test should i have both in? Also will it tell me something is wrong? (like you have a POS dimm get new one) I know not that obvious but similar.

Appreciate your help still. Thanks. sorry if i am confusing

It sounds like you're describing a board with dual channel RAM (4 slots, in 2 groups) The best way I know to truly understand what you accomplish when you install different Dimms into different slots of a dual channel motherboard is to download an Intel motherboard manual and read the section on configuring memory.(either 915 or 965 chipset manuals definitely have this information) There are a lot of possibilities. If I understood your answer, both brand DIMMs work, just not with each other. The only suggestion I have at this point (albeit an expensive one) is to beg, buy, or borrow either another identical Dell or patriot block of memory and install either with their twin. Then see what happens. As I understand it, the ideal dual channel memory configuration would be 2 equal Dimms installed as follows 1 Dimm in channel A socket 0 & 1 Dimm in channel B socket 0. On an Intel board this would be the 2 blue RAM sockets.You can't rule out a thermal problem problem at this point since either channel (in a dual channel system) would continue to function and still be recognized by the system. I leave the concept of memory blocks with identical specifications being incompatible with each other to more experienced forum members than myself.

thanks for the link. Looks like the only option i have is to run mem test. After that there is no point in wasting more money on the thing. I noticed you said top have the exact same brand. Personally i do not believe in that. I have 4 other systems and each one has different memory in there. Both are two sticks two diff brands. The one i am using now has a 1gb (i bought and a 512 from manufacture). I honestly do not think that having the same brand will do anything.

ill get back to you all on Tuesday.

As regards to the mem test how long should i wait? Please remember this is a work PC.

When i do the test should i have both in? Also will it tell me something is wrong? (like you have a POS dimm get new one) I know not that obvious but similar.
Appreciate your help still. Thanks. sorry if i am confusing

Still looking for an answer on this one.

You said that this problem appeared only after you reinstalled Windows. Are you trying to use the memory modules that worked before the OS reinstall?

Tmagic650 said:
You said that this problem appeared only after you reinstalled Windows. Are you trying to use the memory modules that worked before the OS reinstall?

Yes i believe so. Before the reinstall there were two DDR cards in there and worked fine. I somehow completely messed the registry (dont know dont ask) and had to reinstall windows. Once windows was in i noticed it would not boot with both cards. I looked at them and noticed that they were different. One was a PC2700 and the other a PC3200. I have two other computers at home and noticed my gaming machine had differnt ones also. I matched each set. So now my home has 3200 and work 2700. Home works fine. After fixing this oversight they both worked. When i brought the PC back to the office it was flying then shut down after 10 minutes. I had to remove a 2700 card so i can use it. Did not matter which one.

I dont know if i am confusing anyone and if i am I applogize. I really do not know how to explain this.

Please let me know if there is anything i am missing. I will run a mem test tonight with the card in there now. When i come back to work ill post the result.

Thanks again.

This motherboard has nothing special with the memory slots, so either something dealing with memory timings in the bios changed or the second memory module slot has gone bad

dasudevil said that the installed memory total was correct BEFORE he reinstalled the OS. His Asus board is rather old. I have one very similar to it. These boards really don't care about "mix and match" types of memory. The memory will run a the slowest modules speed anyway. Also, I don't think using the same matched spec memory in dasudevil's case, will help this at all

Tmagic650 said:
dasudevil said that the installed memory total was correct BEFORE he reinstalled the OS. His Asus board is rather old. I have one very similar to it. These boards really don't care about "mix and match" types of memory. The memory will run a the slowest modules speed anyway. Also, I don't think using the same matched spec memory in dasudevil's case, will help this at all

TY . . . I forgot to run a mem test last night i will get to it today. I have the CD taped on my screen so i do not forget.

Its official. I GIVE UP. I placed the original ram into the machine and tried to boot. I seriously think the machine was laughing at me. That and it was winking. The screen was all fuzzy.

I guess i will have to live with the 512. Or i can go spend 100 bucks on a new ram stick. Either way i am not happy. I could always just spend an xtra 200ish to buy a brand new one.

Thanks for your help.

How Much?

I guess i will have to live with the 512. Or i can go spend 100 bucks on a new ram stick. Either way i am not happy. I could always just spend an xtra 200ish to buy a brand new one.

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]
My God man, where are you shopping for RAM? Newegg is selling 2GB kits of Kingston DDR2 667Mhz for $120.00. (I understand that this may not be what is called for). But, it's all way down now, not just that.

My God man, where are you shopping for RAM? Newegg is selling 2GB kits of Kingston DDR2 667Mhz for $120.00. (I understand that this may not be what is called for). But, it's all way down now, not just that.

LMAO. I bought the Patriot 512 PC2700 RAM from newegg. I was referring to a newer computer for about $300.00 this is 4 years old. Too top that off a stick of PC2700 is about 80-100 dollars for this set up. I would love to just get a 1GB ram for i have fine tuned this computer and have everything perfected. :) (only issue is the ram)

I guess i can always take the Ram from my gaming PC at home and see if it works here. That ram is a PC3200.

Does anyone see an issue with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back