RAM..will this fit will this not fit?..help me please

Status
Not open for further replies.

meNOname

looking to add 512 mb of ram to my dell dimension 2400
some person helped me earlier...big help he was to get me started
i just have one final question..which he prolly answered, but i gotta be sure :)

im pretty sure that this kind of ram will fit....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820223006

but ive heard that you have to have the same kind of ram in each slot to use it....

if i bought this ram would i have to take my stock ram out?
----thanks again

It should "fit", just make sure you have empty slots for ram.
but ive heard that you have to have the same kind of ram in each slot to use it....

Not really true. You should be able to use the ram you linked to in your computer perfectly. I could go into specifics but I don't want to confuse you :knock:

no go ahead..i dont think im completely computer stupid...
just things you hear..i am poor though just wanted to make sure

by the way..thanks
gunna order it now

spyker_C8 said:
It should "fit", just make sure you have empty slots for ram.

Not really true. You should be able to use the ram you linked to in your computer perfectly. I could go into specifics but I don't want to confuse you :knock:
WAIT!STOP!
having the same RAM stciks is better! IF u have the same ram sticks (same spped and capacity) and your mobo supoorts dual channel then your pc will run smoother
and about the brand, i would recommend corsair or ocz
at least the value ram
but first find out what your current ram is

You can use the ram but sometimes it won't operate at the latency its suppose to(I'm new to computers too but so far, I think this only applies to AMD Athlon 64s because of their on-die memory controller). You'll get the ram to work but just not at its optimal speed.

Also, different kinds of ram use different sockets(DDR, DDR2, Rdram, etc.) and none of them are compatible with each other.

Another reason for why ram might not work is because the ram slot itself might be dead...

Also if you put two different speeds of ram into your computer, the computer will run the faster ram at the speed of the slowest ram. Ex. If I put a stick of DDR333 ram in with a stick of DDR400, both ram will run at DDR333 speeds.

blue_dragon said:
WAIT!STOP!
having the same RAM stciks is better! IF u have the same ram sticks (same spped and capacity) and your mobo supoorts dual channel then your pc will run smoother
and about the brand, i would recommend corsair or ocz
at least the value ram
but first find out what your current ram is

The performance increase with using dual channel is very slight...it depends on the application but ~10% increase in performance is usually on the high side...

And as far as smoothness is concerned, I would personally prefer more ram than to run a lower amount of ram in dual channel.

so i have 256 now..how do i tell if i can dual channel..
and how does that work?

so basically if i want more than 512 megs of ram buy 2 of the sticks at the same time, so everything will match up?
lucky i didnt order yet....

spyker_C8 said:
You can use the ram but sometimes it won't operate at the latency its suppose to(I'm new to computers too but so far, I think this only applies to AMD Athlon 64s because of their on-die memory controller). You'll get the ram to work but just not at its optimal speed.

Also, different kinds of ram use different sockets(DDR, DDR2, Rdram, etc.) and none of them are compatible with each other.

Another reason for why ram might not work is because the ram slot itself might be dead...

Also if you put two different speeds of ram into your computer, the computer will run the faster ram at the speed of the slowest ram. Ex. If I put a stick of DDR333 ram in with a stick of DDR400, both ram will run at DDR333 speeds.
put different speeds of RAM can also lead to lockups.

DDR RAM or Duel channel Ram = Double Data Rate Random Access Memory - (DDR-RAM, DDR-SDRAM ...Synchronous...) RAM that transfers data on both 0-1 and 1-0 clock transitions, theoretically yielding twice the data transfer rate of normal RAM or SDRAM.

thanks everyone..
one final question before i order...
should i take the gamble and miss match my stock ram with a 512 MB rosewill stick?
anyone ever done that before?

it is never a good idea to mismatch brands and types of memory. That's asking for trouble.

sure its not just a bunch of advertising BS?

as in trouble you dont mean PC crashing trouble i hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back