Ram won't work in quad configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossFire851

My computer won't properly turn on when there is four sticks of ram in it. Only when there is 1,2,3 stick(s) in the mobo in any configuration, but when there is 4 in there it won't work. I have cleared CMOS by resting the jumpers. That didn't work. I have tested the ram in another computer and it works like a charm. I have thought of so many solutions, but all to no avil.

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-K8N-SLI
the ram is four sticks of 512mb Corsair VS512MB400 (PC 3200)

I'm thinking that I may need to buy a new board or see if I can RMA it.

Yep. Something is strange. If a bios doesn't fix the problem, I'd start by testing each ram stick one at a time to see if one is somehow faulty.

If the bios update does no good and the ram all proves to be OK, then I guess an RMA may be in order.

What CPU do you have in there? Are you overclocking?

Well I found out that it's the ram. I haven't tested it all until now, and when I did all 4 sticks wouldn't work. Since I don't have a 5th stick of ram to determine what one is wrong I geuss I will just run memmory test on it.

Oh and the cpu is a Athlon 4400 X2 SKT 939 non-overclocked (only when trying to identify the problem)

I have tried 4 sticks in my p4 3.2ghz machince and my 3800 X2 and my 3200 64.

The computer won't work when there is 4 sticks of ram in it, but when there is three in any combination and whatever 3 sticks in computer it works.

(lol I have 4 comps, not including my laptop)

Many athlon boards dont like running more than 2 sticks. Some do and even stranger yet, some can run DDR with odd pairs of sticks like 3. Mine does.

CrossFire851 said:
Well I found out that it's the ram. I haven't tested it all until now, and when I did all 4 sticks wouldn't work. Since I don't have a 5th stick of ram to determine what one is wrong I geuss I will just run memmory test on it
you don't need a 5th stick of RAM to test them. as don suggested, you should test them out individually to rule out a bad stick.

you say that you now know it's the RAM. how? you put all 4 in other boards, but that doesn't always mean that the RAM is bad, it could be that those boards don't like all their slots filled either.

another thought is the CPU. since you have an Athlon64, the memory controller is built into the CPU itself and not the motheboard chipset.

newer revisions have fixed some memory issues that the older dated cores had.

your CPU may not like running 4 sticks of RAM with the timings of the value RAM series.

i googled and found out that other people had the same problem with kingston value RAM. the main thing that separates value RAM from high end RAM is the ability to run at high speed (PC3200) and at tight timings.

you can try to manually set the the speed and timings in your BIOS ad see if that lets you boot into windows. start by leaving the timings alone and change the speed from PC3200 (DDR400) to PC2700 (DDR333)

Well I geuss the stick that wasn't working finally went out so I found the problem and I have a spare. Will be replacing it soon. (rma) I just hope that this form will be ok.

Thanks for all the help guys you are the best. :rolleyes: :knock: ;) :giddy: :grinthumb

PS: I didn't explain how I found out. I put the stick I found to be bad in my computer it would beep. But when I put any of the other sticks in and it would boot. Put in the bad stick beep, beep, beep. This went on until I thought of every possibility. Even when I put in a stick of ram that was pc2100 and pc3200, the computer booted up fine, but with the bad stick no go. The reason I did find the problem sooner was I was testing in late at night/morning and I put the ram in a pile and I guess I was just grabbing the same sticks and never the bad one. That was when I realised what I was doing in the morning (about 7:30) and posted back.

So thanks for all or help could not have done it with out you guys.

KingCody said:
another thought is the CPU. since you have an Athlon64, the memory controller is built into the CPU itself and not the motheboard chipset.

newer revisions have fixed some memory issues that the older dated cores had.

your CPU may not like running 4 sticks of RAM with the timings of the value RAM series.

i googled and found out that other people had the same problem with kingston value RAM. the main thing that separates value RAM from high end RAM is the ability to run at high speed (PC3200) and at tight timings.

you can try to manually set the the speed and timings in your BIOS ad see if that lets you boot into windows. start by leaving the timings alone and change the speed from PC3200 (DDR400) to PC2700 (DDR333)
ah, I overlooked that. I think you're right. I have an older AMD system (Athlon XP) and it really didn't like value Kingston ram either.

Well I just rescived a confirmation notice saying

Dear: RICHARD LOPEZ

For your return please reference:

RMA Number: ****300 (sorry won't tell you)
Part Number: VS512MB400
Number of modules: 1

RMA Return Address:

Corsair Memory, Inc.
RMA Dept. #R
46221 Landing Parkway
Fremont, CA 94538

Please keep a record of your returning tracking number(s) for
verification of delivery.
Your replacement(s) will ship out in 24-48 hours from the time we
receive your package.
Thank-you for choosing Corsair Memory! We look forward to supporting
all of your future memory needs!

Sincerely,

Customer Service - RMA Dept.
510-657-8747
rma@corsairmemory.com
www.corsairmemory.com

So I going to see how this goes and and will reply on how it went. I used this form for the diagonse and newegged all my parts for 100% detail.

Will report back soon, hopefully....

Well I got a newly packaged stick yesterday. I sent it out on on wednesday of last week and received it yesterday. I like that they didn't give me any BS, but the shipping took to long. I sent it out on priority mail and receive it 8 days later? Oh well I would say out 1-10 stars I would give them an 8. But hey I didn't have to buy a new one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back