TechSpot

Random BSOD, freezes and artifacts

By Nineven
Sep 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Random BSODs, freezes and artifacts

Hello,

I have random BSODs (mostly while gaming, but not exclusively), freezes (always while doing stuff on Windows desktop or while navigating the Internet. Everything gets stuck and I have to manually press the reset button) and artifacts (always at the bottom of the screen, on Windows desktop. It looks like shifted squares, hard to explain. I have to minimize and maximize a window to make it disappear).

It has been like this for months now. Sometimes I can get up to five BSODs a day and sometimes I get none for four or five days in a row.

I don't really remember when it started. I think I have artifacts since long ago, but only when I use the latest Nvidia driver, not with an old one.

Now I will make a list of what I have already done to try to find the problem:

• I updated all drivers I could (BIOS firmware already up to date)
    • I cleaned my computer including fans and slots (RAM, video card, etc)
    • I checked for overheating
    • I tested the RAM with Memtest86+ two entire nights
    • I bought new different RAM sticks and tested them with Memtest86+ an entire night
    • I manually set the RAM timing and voltage in the BIOS
    • I tested one stick of RAM in each of the motherboard's slots, and then the same with the other stick
    • I bought a new PSU and checked all voltages while the computer was idle and on heavy load
    • I unplugged all USB devices except the mouse and the keyboard
    • chkdsk /f /r
    • I disabled the pagefile
    • sfc /scannow
    • I reinstalled Windows on another hard drive

Here are my computer's specs:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
    • Motherboard: Asus P5QD Turbo
    • RAM: Corsair (XMS2) DDR2 800 MHz/PC2-6400 (2 sticks of 2 GB each)
    • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (Asus)
    • PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

I changed the RAM (I now have the one specified in my computer's specs) because I found out something strange with my two old sticks:

The computer does boot with one of the stick whatever the slot I put it in.
    The computer does not boot (well it kind of start, but the motherboard don't even beep, and it stay like that, with black screen) when I put the other stick in the slot 3 or 4 of my motherboard (but the computer start normally when that same stick is in slot 1 or 2).

I'm not sure if this is normal.

I do not overclock my computer.

The windows event viewer does not show errors apart from those related with the BSODs ("The previous system shutdown at xx:xx:xx on ‎xx/‎xx/‎xxxx was unexpected.).

I have been keeping some of the minidumps files from the BSODs I got.

I have been trying to get useful information from them with the Microsoft Debugging Tools but I really don't know what to understand from them, so here they are.

I'm really desperate.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

-Nineven-

EDIT: Problem solved. Defective graphic card (video ram).

Attached Files:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.