TechSpot

Random BSOD, screen freezes

By ivanwakeup
May 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice/help for a problem I've recently been having with my PC. For the past 1 or 2 months, I've been getting screen freezes and intermittent BSODs, particularly while gaming. I found this weird because I haven't upgraded or changed anything in the system in a few years now.

my system specs are:

intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz/1.33V (load temps with prime95 are 60C)
    corsair vengeance 1600mhz 8gb ram
    nvidia GTX460 (stock clocks, 78C load temp)
    MSI PG67A-G43 Mmobo
    seasonic 620W psu

most components are less than 3 years old, I think the GPU is about 5 years old now.

obviously my first thought was to test the memory, which I did. The RAM passed 10 hours of memtest86 with no errors, and also passed my mobo's built in memtest utility. my PSU seems to be supplying steady power. I did manage to get the system to freeze while running prime95 the first time, however I've since ran it 2 more times and I can't get it to produce any errors yet.

the problem generally only occurs while gaming, so I thought my gpu might be a problem. took it apart and reapplied thermal paste, temps dont go above 78C. I know the gpu is still old, so could this be causing the problems anyway?

any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a few .zip files with my minidumps

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

There are minidumps from 2011 up to this month 2014 pointing to the boot drive... What is the boot drive? SSD or? The power supply is or may be getting a bit weak...