Random BSOD, Win7 64-bit

theBrit

Ever since I downloaded from Steam CIV 5 and updated my ATI Radeon drivers I have had nothing but crashes. All totally random for no reason. Sometimes the system is fine for hours, other times it just crashes.
I did a total clean sweep of drivers using Guru3D method.

The system has a dual boot (xp) and so I have no system restore files (I read dual boot deletes them) so I can't go back and change anything.

There seems to be 3 errors when it BSOD's but the most common is fltmgr.sys

Windows 7 ultimate
XP on the computer but NOT used for a very long time
Most of the hardware is 2-3 years old.
Zalman fan keeps the CPU under 50'C
Intel C2D 1.8GHz @ 2.5GHZ E6300
3GB DDR2
Radeon 4670
450W Asus PSU
Asus P5B-E Mobo

Following the instructions - jcgriff2.com/BSODpostinstructions.html
The Mini Dumps seem to be huge... 12 files... Winzip made the files have .Z02/3/4 extensions so they couldn't be uploaded. Also the help file says - 2mb but the website only allows 200k. So I have uploaded a complete ZIP @ 2.5MB to this location.
home.darksideofthetoaster.net/scott/Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip

Thank you

the Brit

Sorry I cannot link, as I don't have 5 posts yet, so the H_TTP:// was removed.
So if someone could take a gander at the file, I would appreciate any and all help.

Cheers

The Brit

Use the Manage Attachment button the next time you go to post. Many first timers do so. You don't need to use an outside link.

It seems you know how to find your minidump files, but just in case...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

OK, Thank you very much.
From the previous instructions I zipped up everything from the program I used.

They have been attached.

Thank you again

The Brit

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    186.6 KB · Views: 2
All seven minidump files record the same error code 0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

Now though none cited a specific cause per se the error code description can help us try a few diagnostic steps.

A. Start > Run > ChkDsk > Okay It has three stages and they go fairly fast. Tell us if in Stage 2 it says it is Recovering Lost Files.

B. Many people are experiencing issues with Steam and their dowloads. Try uninstalling CIV 5 and tell us if you regain stability.

C. Try the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the NEXT to latest diver(s) - not the latest - for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Get back to us with the results.

Thank you for that. I am surprised about the NTFS.SYS because I know when I do get a crash it comes up with FLTMGR.SYS but I am not expert. I do have quite a few minidumps though. I have attached a few more, if you do want to check it, although I am sure you are 100% accurate with your findings.

I do run a SMART on my hard disks and one of them are showing up in yellow, to which I contacted SAMSUNG and they said they would exchange it. This is NOT on my gaming drive or my windows drive. So maybe that is causing the problem.

I run DISK KEEPER to keep my fragmentation to a minimum. So maybe that coupled with this "failing" drive is causing the problem?

Maybe I should turn that off as well.

Anyway, again appreciate your help and I will get to work on your suggestions later today.

Cheers,

The Brit

Attachments

• minidump2.zip
    178.2 KB · Views: 8
Five of the seven minidumps were read. Three are again the 0x24 errore.

One is 0x50 and that simply cited hardware.

One is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information and pay particular attention for yellow triangles and especially red x's.

This last one cited the driver cfosspeed.sys and from what I gather this is part of a software for uncapped uploading and downloading uTorrent files. We have seen a lot of issues here with uTorrent and suggest people uninstall such programs. Also, people with cfosspeed are experiencing issues with the latest build.

I'm concerned about your harddrive, however, especially with the yellow marking. Have you ever run a full harddrive diagnostics? If not, go to Seagate's website, download their Seatools for Windows, burn the ISO file to a CD, place CD in your drive, reboot and they test will engage a few seconds later.

Run SMART, Short and Long tests. This will take time.

Thank you again for your input.
I have attached 2 SMART analysis' of the Samsungs. As you can see it is doing stuff it shouldn't be doing. Samsung just told me to send it back to them and they will replace both of them.
I have not tried that Seagate software, so I will get onto that.

Before, I was getting numerous crashes before doing that driver sweeper before. But of course, I am still getting them. So I will try and run that again.

So many things, I should just get a mac ;)

Thanks

The Brit

Attachments

• Samsung Hard Disk B.jpg
    Samsung Hard Disk B.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 2
  • Samsung Hard Disk A.jpg
    Samsung Hard Disk A.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 2
Yep, that harddrive is bad. And speaking of MACs they use the same hardware as Windows systems.

I would like to say, your help has helped me.
I have not had a BSOD for a while now - although I have not played Civ 5 for a while...

anyway thanks for everything, I appreciate it

You're welcome. :) And if you ever get around to trying Civ 5 again let us know how it turns out.

Back