Random crashes on new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

quekbc

Hi,

I recently custom built a new PC and have them shipped overseas. Now there seems to be random crashes here and there. Mostly happening when I'm playing a game (new and old) or watching a movie. So far, these are the different types of crashes I have.

1) Screen freeze, and audio stuck
2) Black screen, but ongoing audio as if nothing happened. (so far only occured once)

From the events viewer, i got

"DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service usnjsvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{98AC5C33-EE18-4EC2-BE25-3B16EE8F75F1}"

there are 4 notifications everytime the computer freezes.

Here's my specs:

Processor: Pentium Quadcore 2.33Hz
RAM: 2x2GB RAM from Team E-lite
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45UD3L
GPU: Gigabyte HD4850 (pre-overclocked)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU: HEC 480W
SMC Wireless PCI

Does anyone have any suggestion or ideas on how to begin identifying whether its a hardware or software problem? And if so, which one?

Edit: Oh, and I've updated all drivers.. i hope...

Start over, without the overclocking...
It will be difficult for many to comment, as those components are not big in the USA...
But I would worry about drivers first... then the HEC power supply which is known for dips and peaks.
I don't know the Team Elite memory, but it would be nice to know which memory it is.
Usually these crashes are caused by driver incompatibilities or speed incompatibilities in hardware.

Hmm.. can you un-overclock a pre-overclocked GPU?
I have no experience on overclocking.. looks like i have to learn that...

and the sales guy assured me that the HEC was good... never expected him to be dodgy...

The RAMs are PC800s

Is there a way to test which component is causing it?

No easy way.
I guess you could say your equipment is good enough to not cause the problem.
Get information from the salesman on the GPU and whether it is really overclocked or not.
Where I come from, you have the basic motherboard and processor setup... they are set to run at a normal speed which promotes cooling and long life.
Overclocking is when you change the clock speed to something that is faster than normal.
It is always difficult to track down a problem on a new computer. Usual causes are defective memory, defective Windows install, defective video graphics card or driver (most common in our experience).
What we would do is cut it back to the most fundamental settings: One memory module, one hard drive, one video graphics card.
If it runs, add one component and retest.
If it does not run without failures, change a memory module...
Then keep on changing hardware until it behaves.
I would change the video graphics driver, then the video graphics card. If it is not memory, it can be that.
I would take it back to the shop, as it is possilbe the tech who set it up made the error, or knows how to adjust.
It can also be too much or too little thermal paste between the CPU and the CPU cooler...
It can take days to find and correct the problem, and that is not a taske for these short messages to follow well.

whoa.. looks likes this means i should leave this to the professionals...

i'll see what i can do with the drivers and memory cards.. dont have another GPU to test...

thanks a lot.. you've been very helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back