TechSpot

Random Freezes/Reboots

By Baounit
Apr 22, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For the past four months, I have been getting random freezes and reboots and have yet to see a BSOD, something must be going on because my minidump folder is packed with files. I downloaded WinDbg and the symbols, around 200MB worth to try reading several of files but I still don't know what's wrong. I know it's with the "win32k.sys" and "ntoskrnl.exe." I've googled several things and haven't recieved much information except RAM is likely an issue.

Here's my latest dump.

So can I fix this?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,840   +165

What are your system specs? What browser are you trying to use? Have you tested your memory?
  3. Baounit

Baounit TS Rookie Topic Starter

HP Pavilion a384x
    Windows XP
    AMD Athlon(B) XP 2800+ running at 2.08 GHz
    Focus nForce2
    512MB Memory
    GeForce4 MX440

I use IE7, which was installed about two weeks ago. As for memory, I have not been able to fully test with MemTest86, the computer usually crashes within five to ten minutes. I have been able to test and pass with Microsoft's Memory Diagnostic tool on several advanced tests.
  4. Tmagic650

Ok,
    what comes to my mind first is Nvidia drivers. Have you tried different video drivers? 4 months is a long time to put up with an unstable computer

"I know it's with the "win32k.sys" and "ntoskrnl.exe" ...

These basically denote an unstable system only. Minidumps can be mysterious and a bit misleading at times. Can you post some additional dumps? I can read the minidump files so it is more effective for you to attach the minidump file directly and not give us a long text post
  5. Baounit

Four months is awhile. I've been on and off trying to fix the computer and this is the first time posting on forums for this problem.

I've attached the four minidumps before the one posted. Hopefully, this will help more. Thanks for your help so far.

Attached Files:

6. Tmagic650

Not much help...

NTOSKRNL.EXE -2 times
    HARDWARE -1 time
    WIN32K.SYS -1 time

If the computer crashed while running Memtest86, replace the memory. If you are running more than 1 stick of memory, swap their positions and test. Then test the memory sticks one at a time
  7. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,202

Dump Mini041807-01 has 60 memory errors. As above.

CHKIMG_EXTENSION: !chkimg -lo 50 -d !win32k
    60 errors : !win32k (bf83b000-bf83b03f)
    FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE_64
  8. Baounit

Alright, I'll test a few more times before I purchase some RAM. Thanks for all the help guys.
  9. Baounit

Sorry about the double post, but I got a new minidump today. I'll be ordering some new RAM soon but I need to know if something else is wrong with my bios. I've uploaded the latest dump.
  10. Tmagic650

NTOSKRNL.exe

get that new RAM!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.