Random freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway s-7410m laptop that keeps freezing randomly. Sometimes it will do a chkdsk automaticly but dont find a problem. I bought a new hard drive and installed it and it is still doing the same thing. I got a message this morning to check my cpu fan but it is running. I am lost and would appreciate any suggestions.
My computer dose not freeze in safe mode.

No, I installed a new os in the new hard drive. I ran a hot cpu test and it came back with a cache error. I read that their was a way to dissable it and see if it is really bad but I cant figure out how.

You can disable cache in the bios.Try resetting the bios first. Unplug the computer from the wall, open the case and carefully remove the silver button battery from the motherboard. Wait 5 minutes, put the battery back in and power up the computer. Reset the date and time

Sounds like a heating issue. Check your temp sensor. Try running something that is processor intensive, i.e video or anti-virus scan, and monitor the temperature. If it rises above 60 deg-F and the comp freezes, there's your problem!

I use Lavalys Everest Home Edition. Go to MajorGeeks and look it up.

Best,
-- Andy

I did remove the battery but I didnt reset the date and time , I'll try it. I could not find the option to disale the cache in the bios, but I keep hearing you can. I put the new hard drive in the same computer, it don't freeze while installing or in bios or safe mode. I had ran a temp sensor with the old hard drive and my temps were always fine but I will try again, I don't know what else to do. Thank you for all you're help!!

Disable the video card in Safe Mode and then restart in Normal Mode. See if the freezing disappears.

BTW, you said initially the laptop froze with the new hard drive installed but you just posted that it now doesn't. Can you confirm either way pls?

Best,
-- Andy

It's clearly one of your devices or a device driver. In Safe Mode, optional devices are disabled (video, audio, printing, ... ) Try disabling one device at a time in Safe Mode then restart to Normal Mode and see if the freezing stops. When it does, the last device you disabled is the culprit.

Best,
-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back