Random loss of internet and PC respons

Belnick

Hi
I hate error searching PC's, but I have done it many many times, but I have never come across something like this.
my internet connection can suddenly just drop on the pc, but the phone which uses wifi works good.
along with the internet drop the pc becomes unresponsive.
if I was playing a game that does not require internet connection while playing I can continue playing without a problem, but I cant start a new game.
double clicking on a folder and nothing happens, pressing windows logo and picking anything there, control panel, my computer, my music etc...will not launch.
I reboot and everything is back to normal(would have gone insane if I did not have os on an ssd)
it is like the PC is just saying "f#¤k you, I dont wanna work anymore"

I have run, spybot search and destroy, avast virus full check, and anti malware before uninstalling it. and it is clean

my specs before I forget to post them:
windows 7 x64 up to date
asus 390x 8gb(had same error with last card which was a 290x)
32gb of ram
i7 4970k no overclock
850w corsair psu
ROG maximus ranger VII with the latest bios
samsung 850 evo 500gb SSD with the OS on
5 internal harddrives + 1 external

im clueless, in google I only find people that this one of these problem, and not both and those answers are not for my problem

I currently have problem with my short term memory so I might forgot I have written this, but I will ad it to my home page so I hopefully will not forget it ;:p

not sure what other info I can give ?

Maybe a power supply issue...
thanks for reading and trying to help
never had any problems with my corsair TX 850w before, and would that really kill the internet and then sometimes also making my programs unresponsive ?
psu problem should not effect how the os act like that ?
yesterday I had the pc on the entire day without a problem, today it was 30min(watched ash vs evil dead) or less during breakfast
how would a damaged SSD effect the system ? OS is installed on my samsung evo 850 500gb
tried another graphic card just to test and same problem

when it becomes unresponsive and reboot is the only fix I can still continue doing what I was unless it force you to be online, but nothing else will start, it just starts the program as you see it in task manager and then nothing, you can start that program several times and it just launch new starts in task manager
so lets say I am playing fallout 4 which take some gpu power which should mean it would draw more from the psu, that will work as long as I started it before this thing happened.
same if I use comicbook reader or watching a movie/tv show, I can not double click on them, but I can draw them into the program to start them

really weird probelm

It could be anything but as you want input the fact that you have five internal hard drives plus an external one together with the OS on an SSD is what caught my eye. That sounds pretty unusual to me. I'm sure the psu is up to the task but maybe disconnect all the hard drives and start with the SSD, then add drives to see if one of them is responsible. Have you thought of installing a freeware program to monitor the temperature of the cpu and graphics card?

It could be anything but as you want input the fact that you have five internal hard drives plus an external one together with the OS on an SSD is what caught my eye. That sounds pretty unusual to me. I'm sure the psu is up to the task but maybe disconnect all the hard drives and start with the SSD, then add drives to see if one of them is responsible. Have you thought of installing a freeware program to monitor the temperature of the cpu and graphics card?
Hi, sorry for late reply, forgot the url

the reason for so many drives is that I have everything I had when I had my windows 3.10 :p well not everything, but all pictures and stuff you collected, thru the years that stacks up to a lot of space
and ofc 225+ games installed

I have gpu tweak from asus for 390x which shows idle temp of 45 Celsius

AIDA64 extreme say that the cpu is idle at 30 Celsius while the cores are little hotter at 36-42 Celsius

I have scanned all drives with the manufactures harddrive tools and one of my disc had, forgot what it is called, an error it could not repair, that disc sometimes vanish in windows, sometimes it is not there at boot, reboot and it is there

the external drive is broken I noticed(a friend dropped in in the floor while plugging in an usb stick) now, can these error cause this weird error problem I have.?

yesterday it worked fine for 15min, rebooted and it worked fine for 30min, rebooted and it worked fine for a few hours and so far today it have not quit on me yet

so I unplug these, test it and then reply back, or I should still do it one by one ?

If it's broken don't have it plugged in. Disconnect those two drives and see if the problems go away. The temperatures look to be fine.

Hmm I guess I have to do that, which is annoying as I am on long time sick leave due to depression, stress and lots of various injuries and most my games which I play is on that drive, but I will try to transfer them and then take it out
can I double post here in a few days after I tested ?

If the dodgy drive has your treasured stuff on it the priority is to copy everything over to a new one as soon as possible. I'd find out whether things run smoothly without those drives right away. You are fortunate that the drive is giving you early warning. If you set about duplicating it and leave playing those games for now it may take your mind off the other problems you have. Losing all those games will not help your depression.

It is more that I have problem focusing, I can sit in front of google for 2 hours when I was going to check a simple thing on amazon...

anyway, I tried that, I removed the external, tested and got same problem,
I removed the harddrive in the pc that might be failing, same problem
removed all harddrives except the ssd and thought it was good, but then same problem

I may be grasping here, but would a faulty sata cabel connected to the motherboard cause something like this ?
all cables are new except one sata

about backup, yea that is what the external was for, but I might be able to save it to MEGA instead?
I still cant beleive im the only one with this problem

could a update for the motherboard cause something like this ?

had it just been one thing it would be easier, but they seem to hang toghether, internet drops and I can only open pictures, no folders, no programs will work
BUT, it does not always happen, internet drops always, but the unresponsive bit "only" happens, I would estimate about ~75% of the times, 1 in 4

"could a update for the motherboard cause something like this ?"
Well if you did that before the problems it seems quite likely. I never update anything so long as all is working properly and BIOS updates are something to avoid at all costs unless the manufacturer recommends it specifically. I was quick to upgrade to Windows 10 though and that was a good move. If you are a gamer I'd maybe update the graphics drivers occasionally but that's it. Replacing a sata cable won't cost much so maybe worth a try.

Saw this just now... while it might be hardware, it also could be something in Windows 7 as installed on your machine.

If I were facing what you described, first I would scan for malware, then check Device Manager for error conditions, then check Administrative Tools / Event Viewer for critical errors (fix them), then take a stab at repairing the OS ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...p#repair-recovery-help=windows-7&v1h=win8tab1 ) and then I would google on "windows 7 freezes up randomly" and work through the various steps from reputable sources.

How you thought about a software conflict?. I had a problem a while back on one of my computers, Doing what your is doing. Turned out to be my antivirus program. Switch antivirus program and the problem was gone.

Last edited:
Those are both good suggestions to follow up. I've certainly had problems too with AV software not agreeing with my system.
"I have run, spybot search and destroy, avast virus full check, and anti malware before uninstalling it. and it is clean."
How about your firewall? If you are using a third party one have you tried uninstalling it and just using Windows built in security?

Last edited:
"could a update for the motherboard cause something like this ?"
Well if you did that before the problems it seems quite likely. I never update anything so long as all is working properly and BIOS updates are something to avoid at all costs unless the manufacturer recommends it specifically. I was quick to upgrade to Windows 10 though and that was a good move. If you are a gamer I'd maybe update the graphics drivers occasionally but that's it. Replacing a sata cable won't cost much so maybe worth a try.
sorry for not responding, I forget, I procrastinate, and I forget again, but remembered now :)
yea I have updated/upgraded/patched the bios a few times

Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 3003
Improve system stability.
File Size 5.55 MBytesupdate 2015/11/23
Download from Global

Version 2902
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 2902
File Size 5.54 MBytesupdate 2015/10/12
Download from Global

Version 2801
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 2801
1.Revise help string in BIOS.
2.Improve system stability.
File Size 5.53 MBytesupdate 2015/07/31
Download from Global

Version 2702
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 2702.
Implement 5th-Generation Intel Core Processors code
*Full support of the new CPU requires VGA driver version 10.18.14.4206 or later
*Before using the 5th Gen Intel Core processors, we suggest that you use USB BIOS Flashback or download ”BIOS updater for 5th Gen Intel Core Processors”to update the BIOS.
File Size 5.55 MBytesupdate 2015/05/28
Download from Global

Version 2601
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 2601
1. Implement 5th-Generation Intel Core Processors code
*Full support of the new CPU requires necessary driver updates.
2. Support ASUS USB 3.1 PCIE add-on card
3. Support NVMe
File Size 5.52 MBytesupdate 2015/04/07
Download from Global

Version 2012
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 2012
Improve System performance.
File Size 5.5 MBytesupdate 2014/10/31
Download from Global

Version 1104
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 1104
File Size 5.44 MBytesupdate 2014/08/15
Download from Global

Version 1003
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 1003
1.Enhance compatibility with some M.2 device.
2.Improve System performance
File Size 5.43 MBytesupdate 2014/07/08
Download from Global

Version 0904
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 0904
1.Enhance compatibility with some PCIE device.
2.Improve System performance

*Note: After you refreshing this BIOS, please also update the Audio Driver to version v7240 or later for the best compatibilty.
File Size 5.43 MBytesupdate 2014/06/23
Download from Global

Version 0809
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 0809
1.Enhance compatibility for new Anniversary Edition and Devil's Canyon CPU.
2.Optimize overclocking function and performance for new Anniversary Edition and Devil's Canyon CPU.
3.Revise function description of SVID support item.

*Note: After you refreshing this BIOS, please also update the Audio Driver to version v7240 or later for the best compatibilty.
File Size 5.42 MBytesupdate 2014/06/05
Download from Global

Version 0707
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 0707
1.upported front base control and firmware update function.
2.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

File Size 5.41 MBytesupdate 2014/05/20
Download from Global

Version 0601
Description MAXIMUS VII RANGER BIOS 0601
First release Bios
File Size 5.41 MBytesupdate 2014/05/12
Download from Global

I have the 3003, latest, but can you even rollback bios updates ?
also, yea sata are cheap, it is the shipping that is annoying :p
but will order one and see

Saw this just now... while it might be hardware, it also could be something in Windows 7 as installed on your machine.

If I were facing what you described, first I would scan for malware, then check Device Manager for error conditions, then check Administrative Tools / Event Viewer for critical errors (fix them), then take a stab at repairing the OS ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...p#repair-recovery-help=windows-7&v1h=win8tab1 ) and then I would google on "windows 7 freezes up randomly" and work through the various steps from reputable sources.
yea I have used google and I have tried scanning with malwarebytes anti-malware, lavasoft ad-aware and spybot search and destroy which is clean

and it is not a real "freeze" as I can still reboot(sometimes), I mean I have control of the mouse, it is just that nothing new want to activate

How you thought about a software conflict?. I had a problem a while back on one of my computers, Doing what your is doing. Turned out to be my antivirus program. Switch antivirus program and the problem was gone.
yes I have thought about it, that is why I only have one virus protection(avast) and one anti malware

I do have an error saying
"Intel@ Rapid Start Technology Manager"

"you system does not appear to have Intel rapid start technology enabled"

Those are both good suggestions to follow up. I've certainly had problems too with AV software not agreeing with my system.
"I have run, spybot search and destroy, avast virus full check, and anti malware before uninstalling it. and it is clean."
How about your firewall? If you are using a third party one have you tried uninstalling it and just using Windows built in security?

I have had windows firewall disabled and used no software firewall, counting on avast to nab anything nasty and the inbuilt router in the modem
also tried deactivating avast fully and enable windows firewall, no difference, still so random, was on 10min today before it happened the first time, now I have been on for 40min and it is still ok

again, thx for helping guys

You indicated that you have done BIOS update. Did you confirm various settings really match your hardware? I remember having a slight voltage mismatch with memory (needed 1.9v and was getting 1.8v) which was doing strange things. The other thing I was told to do was to update all my drivers including chipset.

Did you discover any errors in Event Viewer?

So you have updated the BIOS 12 times. I'm amazed that you haven't had loads of problems sooner than this.

Not been feeling any good
You indicated that you have done BIOS update. Did you confirm various settings really match your hardware? I remember having a slight voltage mismatch with memory (needed 1.9v and was getting 1.8v) which was doing strange things. The other thing I was told to do was to update all my drivers including chipset.

Did you discover any errors in Event Viewer?
what do you mean ?
I went via republic of gaming webpage and downloaded the motherboards driver that external link
if you mean the drivers are for the right mobo, then yea it is, if you mean if these drivers have any mismatch with each other then I dont know
chipset is up to date

about event viewer, totally stupid of me to forget that :p
yea I seem to have some errors there, no clue what they are.
these are the ones that seem to keep repeating error

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 1/17/2016 4:19:56 PM
Event ID: 7001
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Gamer
Description:
The Peer Networking Grouping service depends on the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%-2140993535
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7001</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-17T15:19:56.123988200Z" />
<EventRecordID>10069187</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="772" ThreadID="872" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Gamer</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">Peer Networking Grouping</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Peer Name Resolution Protocol</Data>
<Data Name="param3">%%-2140993535</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Date: 1/17/2016 4:19:56 PM
Event ID: 7023
Description:
The Peer Name Resolution Protocol service terminated with the following error:
%%-2140993535
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7023</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-17T15:19:56.123988200Z" />
<EventRecordID>10069186</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="772" ThreadID="600" />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">Peer Name Resolution Protocol</Data>
<Data Name="param2">%%-2140993535</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Date: 1/17/2016 4:19:55 PM
Description:
The Peer Networking Grouping service depends on the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%-2140993535
Event Xml:
<System>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-17T15:19:55.905986300Z" />
<EventRecordID>10069184</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="772" ThreadID="3028" />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
</EventData>
</Event>

Description:
%%-2140993535
Event Xml:
<System>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-17T15:19:55.905986300Z" />
<EventRecordID>10069183</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
</EventData>
</Event>

Source: Microsoft-Windows-PNRPSvc
Event ID: 102
Description:
The Peer Name Resolution Protocol cloud did not start because the creation of the default identity failed with error code: 0x80630801.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-PNRPSvc" Guid="{BBE94F36-F8DC-4C33-8227-81602B7A3D53}" EventSourceName="PNRPSvc" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">102</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-17T15:19:55.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>10069181</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>0x80630801</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Description:
The Peer Name Resolution Protocol cloud did not start because the creation of the default identity failed with error code: 0x80630801.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-PNRPSvc" Guid="{BBE94F36-F8DC-4C33-8227-81602B7A3D53}" EventSourceName="PNRPSvc" />
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-17T15:19:55.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>10069180</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>0x80630801</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Date: 1/17/2016 4:19:45 PM
Description:
%%-2140993535
Event Xml:
<System>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-17T15:19:45.025768000Z" />
<EventRecordID>10069176</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="772" ThreadID="4236" />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
</EventData>
</Event>

Date: 1/17/2016 4:19:45 PM
Description:
%%-2140993535
Event Xml:
<System>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-17T15:19:45.025768000Z" />
<EventRecordID>10069175</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
Date: 1/17/2016 4:19:44 PM
Event ID: 2
Task Category: Session
Keywords: Session
User: SYSTEM
Description:
Session "Homegroup Log" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing" Guid="{B675EC37-BDB6-4648-BC92-F3FDC74D3CA2}" />
<EventID>2</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>2</Task>
<Opcode>12</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000010</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-17T15:19:44.698749300Z" />
<EventRecordID>4765</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="1056" ThreadID="8516" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin</Channel>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="SessionName">Homegroup Log</Data>
<Data Name="FileName">
</Data>
<Data Name="ErrorCode">3221225525</Data>
<Data Name="LoggingMode">285212677</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Description:
Event Xml:
<System>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-17T15:19:44.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>10069164</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>0x80630801</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

So you have updated the BIOS 12 times. I'm amazed that you haven't had loads of problems sooner than this.

no no, I updated to the latest, and then another and then another, so 3 in total, but it is up to date

That could still be the problem. I've only ever done two BIOS updates. The first was maybe 15 years ago when my 8GB computer couldn't recognise a 20Gb hard drive upgrade. The second was last year with my netbook. I found that a recommended BIOS upgrade by Samsung would cure keyboard lag. If you get nowhere with other suggestions I'd look into whether you can revert to the previous BIOS. I'm afraid I don't know if that would entail any unexpected risks.

If a new BIOS comes out that doesn't mean that it's going to be a good idea to immediately implement it. Plenty do so but it is not worthwhile. There's no point in taking risks if there is nothing to be gained.

Last edited:
That could still be the problem. I've only ever done two BIOS updates. The first was maybe 15 years ago when my 8GB computer couldn't recognise a 20Gb hard drive upgrade. The second was last year with my netbook. I found that a recommended BIOS upgrade by Samsung would cure keyboard lag. If you get nowhere with other suggestions I'd look into whether you can revert to the previous BIOS. I'm afraid I don't know if that would entail any unexpected risks.

If a new BIOS comes out that doesn't mean that it's going to be a good idea to immediately implement it. Plenty do so but it is not worthwhile. There's no point in taking risks if there is nothing to be gained.

yea never been a fan of upgrading my mobo before, but since I bought rampage extreme series and now this formula I have needed to do so
I assume removing the batter will only reset the bios and not revert ? :(
I know the risk is high everytime you update it, had one pc crash during this once(old pc which had bios update to use newer stuff) and then the pc was dead :p
so rolling back I think might be as risky ?

Event Viewer

Chain of errors looks like it starts with
"Microsoft-Windows-PNRPSvc
Event ID: 102"

Google leads to: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349394(v=ws.10).aspx

This page indicates it is for Server 2008, so I am not certain it is applicable.

Another page is:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rts/e9519760-b602-4e6d-9c68-e07dc39a9a75?db=5

This is complicated, yet I hope it will be helpful.

FIRST, backup everything.

are you asking me to backup ~9+ terabytes :p:p

I downloaded the "fix" for the event error 10
will install after this post and then see if it does something
btw one tip was to check how much memory was used in rss manager

I have currently ~ 62mb hardware reserve, 4800mb in use, 176mb modified, 3600mb on standby and 24100mb free
--^--not sure that helps with anything--^--

Backup?

Ummm, yes, affirmative, even if it were 50 or 100 terabytes. If it has value to you (you are saving it in your existing storage), then you should protect it - and HDs are just hardware - they break, etc., etc

Possibly an LTO6 tape drive (about $2k) - or a second hand server with 5 3TB drives or 2 6TBs - it is your data and it depends on how you value it,

Thought the microsoft fix for error 10 would work, but I was just lucky for 2 days
same error

Backup?

Ummm, yes, affirmative, even if it were 50 or 100 terabytes. If it has value to you (you are saving it in your existing storage), then you should protect it - and HDs are just hardware - they break, etc., etc

Possibly an LTO6 tape drive (about $2k) - or a second hand server with 5 3TB drives or 2 6TBs - it is your data and it depends on how you value it,

umm, as I said in first post im on sick leave so I get almost halfmy salary right now, living on noodles the last days a week
so yea no extra money to spend

So problem seemed to be resolved. Ran 'ok' for 2 days. Then problem popped up again.

What appeared in Event Viewer when problem reappeared?

Back