Random PC shutdown

im not 100% sure if this post should be here.

Well for the past year and a half now 1 of my pc's keeps shutting down. At first it would only do so when playing games. Over time it has come to the point where spending any time on the pc doing anything, like something as simple as checking my facebook, or my emails.

my pc only has 2 fans one at the back under the power supply and one on the processor. i have even taken off the side cover on the casing hoping/thinking it might have been due to over heating but still it shuts down on me.

i had brought the pc to a few pc repair places. most of them were telling me that it was due to ether my pc being dusty or my power supply. Well i have changed the power supply and cleaned the whole pc, and it still shuts down.

I have even gone as far as to remove everything and reinstall it all, in hopes that it was just a bad connection. this worked for maybe 3 days then it started shutting down again

This is about as much info i can give you about my pc(not all that great with them)
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 1984MB RAM

Hard Drive: 160 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Monitor: SyncMaster 910N/912N/913N/915N

Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2

any help would be most appreciated

Well generally pc shutdowns are due to the power supply being faulty or general overheating.
As you have replaced the power supply there is a small chance that this is the cause. Again you have checked the connections to the motherboard and they are fine too.

The only thing I can suggest without further thought is to check the cpu temperature. This can be accessed in some bios configuration screens. Generally you can enter this screen using the f1, f2 or delete key.

The temperature will be under the power tab and it will probably show the motherboard temp as well as the cpu's. between < 35 is great 35-45 is ok anything over 45 is starting to run hot etc. *Note AMD chips do run a little hotter so take this into account*

What cpu fan do you have? is it connected with thermal paste?

The motherboard could have a faulty connection point I once experienced this except the computer was in permanent sleep mode rather than sporadic shut downs.

Back